KuifJe

Exact prereqs for OSD

I'll start of by saying this is by far the most clear and descriptive site when it comes to installing and troubleshooting for SCCM, good job!

I'm currently in the proces of setting up a test lab (1 DC, 1 SCCM server, 1 SQL server). Eventually our goal is to get OSD, updates and software distribution working with SCCM 2007 R2.

Your setup and installation procedure for SCCM work like a charme. However when I come to the OSD bit I miss the specifics on what extra software is needed. I've come across posts (not on this forum) stating MDT isn't a prereq and neither is WDS :unsure:

Can anyone here specify what software/features/roles exactly are needed and in what order these should be installed to get the most out of OSD in R2 of SCCM 2007?

Base software allready installed:

Windows 2008 Domain

All Windows 2008 servers

Windows SQL 2008 Standard

I'm not looking for the complete walkthroughs of the installations, those aren't the issue, it's teh exact software prereqs I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance ;)

I'll start of by saying this is by far the most clear and descriptive site when it comes to installing and troubleshooting for SCCM, good job!

thanks ! I've put a lot of work into it,

wds is required for OSD and if you want to deploy server 2008 or get any 'cool' features in your task sequences then you'll need the MDT integration

my advice to you is to follow the Deploy Vista guide from start to finish, it covers the MDT integration stuff and more, for the roles and features of Server 2008 just follow this guide but bare in mind that it is for a LAB environment where AD and DHCP, WDS are all on the same box, in production you'd want to separate AD and SCCM/WDS/SQL

Thanks for the swift reply...

I'm a bit stumped though. I'm certain I've read somewhere you shouldn't manually configure WDS, just install it and then let SCCM do the rest :wacko:

Ah well, on with the show and see what happens. That's probably why it's called a lab environment ;)

yes thats right, you don't HAVE to do anything with WDS other than install it, however you CAN configure it if you wish

but, for OSD you MUST install WDS otherwise it just wont work, configured or not.

cheers

anyweb