Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'MDT 2012'.
Found 3 results
Good Morning, Just have a performance question regarding the Create WIM step of Sysprep and Capture in MDT 2012. WDS Server running Windows Server 2008 R2 MDT 2012 Here's how I perform my images: 1. Create a VM 2. Setup the VM how I want it (Windows Updates, application installations etc.) 3. Once I'm done, I power off the VM, and get a snapshot 4. Boot the VM back up, and go to \\WDSSHARE$\Scripts and run the LiteTouch script 5. Run the Sysprep and Capture for the MDT Task for Windows 8 6. Let it do its thing 7. Sits at Create WIM for about 10 minutes before the progress bar comes up. Said 2 hours 8 minutes 8. Now 14% in its at 2 hours 9 minutes I recognize that using full images instead of scripted installs the capture is going to take longer because its going to be a bigger install file. Honestly I just haven't found using the unattended / scripted installations to be very reliable. Plus with newer laptops and desktops, the network drivers don't always work in MDT. They boot into WDS just fine but some systems even though the same drivers are setup in each, when I boot to MDT from WDS, the network drivers stop working. So creating full images in virtual machines where I'll never have this issue just seems more reliable. If doing it this way means it just takes as long as it takes I'll deal with that. If there's a better way I'm open to suggestions. I just want to make sure I'm not making things harder on myself. Thanks for your input!
Hi, since about two months we're having fun here trying out MDT 2012 and USMT5. The idea is implementing LTI. Now, I have this Windows 7 testpc here and I'm doing a User Data Capture. This pc contains a folder - c:\Notes - which contains some subfolders and lots of files. Within this c:\Notes there are four files I want to keep, the rest is of no interest. On the internet I can find quite a lot of info about how to include a folder and to exclude some files within, but alas I don't find anything about the other way around : include files situated in a (sub)folder and deleting the rest. I tried this MigNotes.xml but it didn't work. The complete c:\notes was copied. I tried the unconditionalexclude too, but that was even more dominant, the complete c:\notes was excluded. Using more than one component seems to be a no go too, because each component is evaluated individually. And the order of the rules within a component is of no importance too.... So, in a way, this xml shows me what I want to achieve but we don't know what syntax to use. It would be nice if some of you out there could assist us. Thanks in advance, Paul
This is mostly for people familiar with MDT scripting/integration... I've been working on this non-stop today trying all sorts of methods to try and accomplish a prompt for computer name at a specific point...I'm certain that it can be done, but I'm losing hope! Here's the scenario...I'm using Maik Koster's web service (v7.3), as well as his custom boot image for OSD, with MDT 2012 integration. With the custom boot image, the pre-execution mediahook runs and performs a series of webservice calls to populate a wizard that allows for TS selection. After the selection is made, it adds the computer to the appropriate collection with the OSD TS and off you go! This works GREAT for known computers...unknown computers are a little different. I can boot unknown computers to the custom boot wizard, and they get added to whichever collection and are added to the server at the same time. HERE IS THE ODDITY: the computers get added with their MAC address as the computer name, as opposed to MININT-###### I've added a successful check in the pre-execution hook to test if the computer is known or not...if it is unknown, then a simple prompt comes up and we can put in the computer name. THE PROBLEM is that I have NO IDEA what variable I'm supposed to set with the input. The pre-execution hook calls ZTIGather and ZTIUtlity...I've tried setting oEnvironment.Item("OSDComputerName")/("HostName") to the input gathered previously...but it didn't change anything (the webservice call is SUPPOSED to use OSDComputerName as the name)...I'm honestly stumped as to what variable I need to set (since it is using the MAC address for the name), OR would be more viable to try and set a (environmental?) variable that the SCCM_Bootstrap.ini/Customsettings.ini uses? For instance the existing webservice call in the ini file looks like this: ----------------------------------------- [AddComputerToCollection] WebService=http://YourWebServer/Deployment/SCCM.asmx/AddComputerToCollection Parameters=MACAddress,UUID,CollectionID,ComputerName MACAddress=macAddress UUID=UUID CollectionID=collectionID ComputerName=Computername <-- THIS IS NOT POPULATED FOR SOME REASON ------------------------------------------ would it be possible to do something such as: ------------------------------------------- MyNewCustomVariable=%SetByScript% [AddComputerToCollection] WebService=http://YourWebServer/Deployment/SCCM.asmx/AddComputerToCollection Parameters=MACAddress,UUID,CollectionID,ComputerName MACAddress=macAddress UUID=UUID CollectionID=collectionID MyNewCustomVariable=Computername -------------------------------------------- I guess that it might be possible that SCCM is inserting the MAC address to use as the computer name since/if it isn't being provided...but that thought just occurred to me, and I haven't had a chance to look into that possibility. This is all very new to me, as I'm not super familiar with the workings of MDT scripting/customizations. When I get back to work in the morning, I'm going to go through the logs again and see if/where I missed the section that is using the MAC address for the computer name. Hopefully, if I can get this working, then I'll have a very handy method for imaging bare metal workstations with a computer name prompt tied in