Sisko

PC reboot after image failing at "Applying System Settings"

Hi guys, I have imaged a PC here on our SCCM system, fairly new to it and only been in this new role for 6 weeks.

I downloaded the drivers for a Dell E6430 and imported them into SCCM, then altered the task sequence for the image to install them.

Everything went fine, until after the machine had imaged it was rebooting. It gets to "applying system settings" and then it failes with the error message "Windows could not configure one or more system components."

It then goes round in a circle failing to boot. I have removed the drivers from the task sequence and the image installs and boots fine, so it must be a driver related issue.

Is there a way I can find out exactly what is causing it? Any help is greatly appreciated guys. Thanks!

Sisko

Hi Anyweb, how would I go about doing that?

Also, an additional question on Driver Packages. If you delete a driver package from SCCM, does that also remove all the corresponding drivers that were imported in with that package? As in, does it remove them from SCCM completely? Thanks

Hi Anyweb, how would I go about doing that?

He's asking you to put the drivers back into your build, and then run through another test deployment. When the machine fails, there is a file called smsts.log that will tell you why. It should be on the client you're building.

I usually get this file for debugging by enabling debug support (F8) on the boot image. As soon as it starts to deploy, I press the F8. This opens a command prompt. Move this out of the way so you can see the failure. The command prompt will stop the machine from rebooting.

Once you get the failure, then copy the file off the machine to a place where you can attach it to this thread.

Also, an additional question on Driver Packages. If you delete a driver package from SCCM, does that also remove all the corresponding drivers that were imported in with that package? As in, does it remove them from SCCM completely? Thanks

No; removing the driver package does not remove the driver from Configuration Manager.

When dealing with drivers, you have them in two locations. First, you have to import the driver into Configuration Manager. Think of this as getting it into the Configuration Manager application. This is exposed under the Drivers node.

Once you've imported the drivers, you have to create a driver package. This is content, meaning it allows your clients to actually use the driver. This is exposed under the Driver Packages node.

If you want to remove the driver completely from the Configuration Manager, you'll have to remove the driver and then update all of your distribution points with all the packages that contained that driver.