danny_gayler

Inserting Software updates into task sequence

Good Afternoon all,

This could be a very basic question so i'll apologise in advance.

In SCCM 2007 you could create a deployment package within Software updates, distribute it and then using MDT within the OSD task sequence, add the update package in:

post-22281-0-01351100-1396356215_thumb.jpg

Now in SCCM 2012, I can create a deployment package for a bunch of Windows updates but when I attempt to use MDT within the OSD task sequence to insert this in, I don't see the deployment group I created. I only see software packages:

post-22281-0-19973300-1396355865_thumb.jpg

I've made sure that the software update deployment package has been distributed to the right DP's.

Now the only thing i'm unsure about is whether I need to deploy that package. That wasn't the way in 2007 so it could be different in 2012.

Now i'm either missing something or looking at this completely the wrong way. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

After a day perusing the web I found the following:

http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/2012/09/26/using-offline-updates-with-configmgr-2012-osd/

It looks like you cannot insert your updates in SCCM 2012 like you used to in 2007. To workaround this you need to:

1. Create an application package
  2. Tick "this package contains source files" and point it to your updates folder that was created when your Software Update deployment package
  3. once done publish to the appropriate distribution points

got there in the end :)

If you have the Software Update Point configured and as well Software Update Groups, you can simply add a "Install Software Updates" step to your task sequence, which will install also updates for Office.

Thanks Peter. I've just added this into the task sequence and I see the following options:

post-22281-0-14014500-1396614707_thumb.jpg

Now is this task going to install all software updates that have been downloaded, approved or whatever is in the Software Update Group? Any ideas on how this can be defined?

All updates which are in an update group and deployed, which means that they have a valid policy. The client has to be in a collection to which the updates are deployed. Manydatory means updates that would also be installed during an offline update. So only Windows base updates. All Updates also includes silverlight, Office ... and so on.

... forgot to tell you that this action cannot be applied during the Windows PE Phase. You need to place it somewhere behind the "Setup configuration Manager" step.