anyweb

MDT 2010 beta 2 can break WDS if PXEFilter.vbs is used

in case any one else comes across this problem, i updated a lab server yesterday from sccm 2007 sp1 r2 to the sp2 beta, it went fine (very slow though). After I was done I installed the MDT 2010 beta upgrade and during that install it complained that the WDS service was running and it needed to be closed to continue, so i stopped the service. The install went fine but after it was finished the WDS service was still stopped, I attempted to manually start it, it gave an error

The Windows Deployment Services Server service terminated with service-specific error 126 (0x7E)

and

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion

After a lot of troubleshooting (including uninstalling MDT 2010, reinstalling MDT 2008 sp1) I noticed that the MDT 2010 start menu options did NOT have any PXE filter shortcut, and one of the event viewer error messages referred to Microsoft.BDD.PXEFilter.dll. I then decided to once again uninstall MDT 2010 beta 2, and reinstall MDT 2008 SP1, once done, I removed the PXE filter that I had applied and then reinstalled MDT 2010 beta 2.

After I was done, I added the MDT 2010 Configuration Manager integration and the WDS service started properly and all seems ok now (pxe booting of Windows 7 works fine via SCCM)