Kevin79

SCCM - Distribution points and OSD

I have 14 locations with distribution points on Windows 7. I started playing with OSD and I know that distribution points on Windows 7 can't have the OSD on them because W7 doesn't support WDS/PXE. Should I reconfigure my distribution points so that they are on Server 2008? How hard is it do have two servers per site, one with my regular packages on W7 and one with my OS images for OSD on Server 2008? Would I need to have all packages on Server 2008 or just my OS images, drivers and boot images? Can you install a DP on a domain controller?

Hi,

When using a Windows 7 computer as a DP you are limited to the concurrent number of connections that Windows 7 allows, which is 20. Having a server and a client DP on a site really doesn't make any sense to me, what would you gain from that?

For OSD and DP a Windows 7 client can be used durin the OSD for all packages just not to boot from, I have made many designs where we PXE boot over the WAN, Yes it takes a while but it works just fine and in real life how many OS deployments do you actually do on the small sites?

So all would depend on the number of clients on the sites and WAN connections speed.

Regards,
Jörgen

How hard is it do have two servers per site, one with my regular packages on W7 and one with my OS images for OSD on Server 2008? Would I need to have all packages on Server 2008 or just my OS images, drivers and boot images?

Why would you want to do that. Put all your package, application, drivers and OSD related stuff on the same 2008 DP.

You can install a site server (DP) on a domain controller without problem.