rj07thomas

Please help- database move driving me insane!

Hi,

I have SCCM up and running happily, on a stand-alone server with SQL Enterprise in eval mode. Fine, everything working lovely and it can do build, capture, install etc. "Perfect".

Now I want to move the database to our SQL cluster. Backup the database, move the backup and restore it onto the cluster. Fine, no problem. Start SetupWPF on the SCCM server, go to the SQL maintenance page, start the move to the cluster. This is where it falls over: there are 4 repeated lines, talking about self-signed certificates. These repeat endlessly until I think the process times out.

I don't know why SQL is even bothered about certificates as it shouldn't be using SSL (deliberately). I've followed numerous posts online about this problem but to no avail. Is there either (a)an easy way around this or (B) can I somehow move the database from within SCCM and bypass SetupWPF? I don't want to delete SCCM and start again, I'd have thought moving the database would be relatively trivial.

Here are the errors:

*** Failed to connect to the SQL Server, connection type: SMS ACCESS. Configuration Manager Setup 03/10/2014 09:18:41 2544 (0x09F0)
INFO: SQL Connection failed. Connection: SMS ACCESS, Type: Secure Configuration Manager Setup 03/10/2014 09:18:41 2544 (0x09F0)
*** [08001][-2146893019][Microsoft]

SSL Provider: The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted. Configuration Manager Setup 03/10/2014 09:18:44 2544 (0x09F0)
*** [08001][-2146893019][Microsoft][sql Server Native Client 11.0]Client unable to establish connection Configuration Manager Setup 03/10/2014 09:18:44 2544 (0x09F0)

I'd be really grateful for any help- the eval will expire soon and I don't understand why it's even using SSL. I've tried attaching various certificates to the destination SQL Cluster and it just crashes SQL, so I'm guessing that's not the answer.

Okay, needed to check that but you're already good in that respect. From my understanding, when you actually install CM12 it creates a self-signed certificate that is used to build a trust between your CM12 server and the SQL database. Since you're moving the database to another machine, that trust relationship is lost and needs to be rebuilt. I believe that this may be your issue but resolving it, i'm not so sure. You "might" be able to find the certificate from your "old" build (i don't even know the cert name) and import this into your SQL cluster and rebuild trust that way. I think this is the avenue you should at least look into. Sorry i can't give more specifics that that!

Hi simulacra75, well the "fix" is far from perfect and isn't a fix. I created another instance of SQL on the same host, using the CD that MS supply with SC which is "free" for SC use (I know "free" is the wrong word but it kind of is).

After finding a post talking about dynamic ports, I reconfigured all the ports to static on this instance and then the move worked, so at least I've taken the database off the evaluation copy of SQL. Fingers crossed that's enough to keep us going.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions and hope you have a good day.