Sudarsen

Partiotioning the Harddisk during OSD

Question

Hi,

I have a requirement to partition disks during OSD. I have used step Partition Disk 0 to create a single drive.

Below are scenarios I would like advice on.

1. Creating C:\ 200GB & D:\ 300GB from a single disk of 500GB

2. D:\ if existing should not be formatted.

1 answer to this question

Hi this is perfectly possible using a diskpart script and refresh scenario during MDT or just only the "Install Operating System" step in ConfigMgr.

Basically it should exist out of the following options / commandlines that are written in a little text file called "Format-C-Only" (or something like that):

SELECT disk 0
SELECT partition 1
FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL="Windows" QUICK OVERRIDE
ASSIGN
ACTIVE
EXIT
Then it can be called from within your task sequence like so: DISKPART /S X:\Format-C-Only.txt
Note that the OVERRIDE switch is important, when for instance you are using disks that are bitlockerd, and in any other case it doesn't hurt to use it too.
If you want to put in other options, please visit this link for other DISKPART command line features: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766465(v=ws.10).aspx
Lastly if you want to do a check if a computer has been partitioned with the scheme a previous time, there are conditions to set in both MDT and SCCM that do a check for a file, timestamp, presence of a file, or something like that.
I always like to tattoo my machine with information that I pritty much echo from my task sequence variables into a little text file called "DeploymentInfo", which I use as a condition to check if the file exists, and if it exists, I assume the machine has been deployed a previous time.
Cheers! Rens