joeman1881

Creating a secondary site...

Hello all,

I previously ran all of our sites from my single SCCM 2012 server. This one server is managing WSUS/SCUP, OSD, App deployment. and EP, so I decided to create a secondary server. The Primary server managed all the clients well, but I noticed poor performance for the techs in the config mgr console when large update deployments were occurring. My hopes were creating a secondary server would allow me to distribute all content to the secondary server, which it did, and then connect to the secondary site with the console for deploying. This would leave my primary site available for update deployments, and eliminate sluggish console performance for my technicians...

I quickly learned I cannot connect to my secondary site via the config manager console which leads me to think I may need to upgrade this guy to a Primary server? Or is there a better solution for what I am trying to achieve?

Thanks,

-Joe

Hi,

That i correct the console can only be used to connect to a primary site or a CAS, a secondary site only holds a subset of the data a Primary site does. It sounds like you are better of moving the DP from the Primary site server to start with from the Primary site or is that already the case?

Regards,
Jörgen

Hi,

That i correct the console can only be used to connect to a primary site or a CAS, a secondary site only holds a subset of the data a Primary site does. It sounds like you are better of moving the DP from the Primary site server to start with from the Primary site or is that already the case?

Regards,

Jörgen

I'm assuming they would both need to be Primary sites, and both would need to be Distribution points. This way Updates can still be deployed from one Primary server, and OS/software deployments can be deployed from the second Primary server. So what I need to do is just upgrade the current secondary site to a second Primary site. (that doesn't sound confusing at all)

Console performance is definitely not a reason why you should install another primary site. If you're seeing console performance issues, I would look at installing a terminal server close to the primary site server and install and run the console from there.

Thanks for the add-in. Is there any documentation on this anywhere within the site? I will see what I can find online...

Just to be clear though, my network connection is becoming saturated during large deployments of updates which I believe is adding to the consoles performance lacking. This option may help increase performance though in general for the technicians.