flogadob

DPM MMC error

Question

Hi

hope you can help!

I'm trying to view tape management reports in DPM 2012, every time i click on view i get an error saying that the mmc has stopped working.

When i look in the event viewer i can see this

The description for Event ID 999 from source MSDPM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
T
he following information was included with the event:

An unexpected error caused a failure for process 'mmc'. Restart the DPM process 'mmc'.

Problem Details:
<FatalServiceError><__System><ID>19</ID><Seq>0</Seq><TimeCreated>05/03/2015 11:34:13</TimeCreated><Source>DpmThreadPool.cs</Source><Line>163</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><ExceptionType>InvalidCastException</ExceptionType><ExceptionMessage>Specified cast is not valid.</ExceptionMessage><ExceptionDetails>System.InvalidC astException: Specified cast is not valid.
at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Librar y.Reporting.Reporter.GetDPSInstallTime()
at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Report ingPage.ViewReport..ctor(Report report, Boolean flagNewReport)
at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Report ingPage.Reporting.OpenViewReportForm(Boolean flagNewReport)
at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Report ingPage.Reporting.OnSavedReportsClick(Object sender, EventArgs eventArgs)
at System.Windows.Forms.LinkLabel.OnMouseUp(MouseEven tArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message&amp ; m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Label.WndProc(Message& m)
at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.UI.CommonCont rols.DetailsPassthroughLabel.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)</ExceptionDetails></FatalServiceError>

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

I've restarted the server, I've checked all services and their dependencies, I've logged in as another user to see if it the error was limited to just one user, but its happening with all users.

I'm pretty new to DPM, so just wondered if anyone has had the same issue before and could help

thanks in advance

Vicky Tofield

IT technician sir Christopher hatton academy

1 answer to this question

Hi Vicky,

First off, can you clarify exactly what version of DPM you are using? For example: 2012, 2012 SP1, or 2012 R2? Also, have you applied any of the Update Rollups to the installation? If yes, which one(s)?

Further, take a look at the following links:

This first one is for an older version of DPM, but it mentions several things, including: dependencies on SQL Server services, Service Accounts, DPM server naming, etc.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/795e8ebc-85ca-42eb-b942-96a981b6c031/dpm-service-not-runningevent-id999?forum=dataprotectionmanager

This second one mentions Service startup time, Service Accounts, and DPMSync.

http://scug.be/sccm/2012/11/15/dpm-2012-troubleshooting-error-999-in-event-viewer/

Let us know how it goes from there.