mmenzie

Deploying Office 2013 leaves behind Office 2010 tools and others. can anyone help??

I am trying to figure out why parts of office 2010 remains after deploying office 2013 using SCCM. I originally followed this guide:

http://prajwaldesai.com/how-to-deploy-microsoft-office-2013-using-sccm-2012-r2/

then after I saw that the office tools and sharepoint workspace for 2010 I started looking again and found this article and found a comment by KevinViolette that I tried as well and it did not help

http://www.itninja.com/question/office-2013-oct-wont-call-office-2010-uninstall

does anyone know what I am doing wrong??? office 2013 installs fine but it just will not remove the office 2010 tools and I am pulling whats left of my hair out truing to figure out why. I have attached a screenshot of what is being left behind

post-29330-0-48676000-1428590071_thumb.png

I've had this same issue when we went to office 2013. I have a process that does uninstalls then installs office 2013 after and restarts the machine when it finishes.

What I use is a batch file that first calls the uninstall for office 2010 suite which fully uninstalls everything from the suite. The reason you have the suite still present is because all the the upgrade does is uninstall the specific applications that 2013 has. 2013 doesn't have the sharepoint tools or the other tools that office 2010 has so it doesn't uninstall the extra "tools" that aren't present in the 2013 suite. We also have Communicator which is also not part of the office suite and has to be uninstalled seperate since we are going to Lync with 2013.

Now the SCCM "official way" to do an uninstall is to create an uninstall package using the application .msi file. What this does though is cause your clients to have to download a large amount of data to kick off the uninstall if they originally had the software pre-sccm deployments. Microsoft stores some cached files for office repairs, uninstalls etc.. on the local C:\ under a hidden folder named MSOcache. What I do with my script is I have an uninstall settings file "uninstall.xml" that I copy into the c:\Msocache folder that contains the setup.exe file for the office 2010 installation. Then it calls up the uninstall command for 2010 pointing to the XML file that I've copied into the folder for the settings to uninstall the application. This keeps the downloaded data required to like 1kb and uses the already existing stored files to accomplish the task. Sorry it that all seems a bit confusing but I just felt no need to move large amounts of data around to just uninstall something simple. I do a lot of batch files for uninstall commands to avoid having to move data around. The product keys for office 2010 32-bit and 64-bit are listed in the script so depending on the version you have in your environment you'll want to remove the lines for the version you don't have.

Here is my script.

@ECHO OFF
ECHO Uninstalling Office Communicator
ECHO Please Wait while Office Communicator is removed...
msiexec /x {0D1CBBB9-F4A8-45B6-95E7-202BA61D7AF4} /q
ECHO Uninstall Complete.
ECHO Please close out of all Office applications (Including Outlook, Word, and Excel).
ECHO Uninstalling Microsoft Office 2010 ...
xcopy Uninstall.xml "c:\MSOCache\All Users\{90140000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-C\*"
xcopy Uninstall.xml "c:\MSOCache\All Users\{90140000-0011-0000-1000-0000000FF1CE}-C\*"
cd "C:\MSOCache\All Users\{90140000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-C"
setup.exe /uninstall ProPlus /config ".\Uninstall.xml"
cd "C:\MSOCache\All Users\{90140000-0011-0000-1000-0000000FF1CE}-C"
setup.exe /uninstall ProPlus /config ".\Uninstall.xml"
ECHO Uninstall Complete
cd /d %~dp0
setup.exe
ECHO The Office Installation has been completed, The system will restart in 15 seconds
shutdown /r /t 15

Here is the Uninstall.xml file data as well:

<Configuration Product="ProPlus">
<Display Level="Basic" CompletionNotice="NO" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />
<Setting Id="Reboot" Value="Never" />
<Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="NEVER" />
<OptionState Id="ProductFiles" State="Local" Children="force" />
</Configuration>

sorry.... but I don't think I get it. so you are launching a script before you deploy office 2013?? I am a one man shop so I am trying to automate this as much as possible (which is why I am using SCCM). so do I run this script first and then deploy with sccm?? is there a way to get the script into the sccm deployment??? I think im still confused

Here's an easy way to remember how to do applications vs packages.

Scripts, .exe files, reg keys = These would be package deployments

.MSI = This would be an application deployment.

In the case of me pushing a script it is an application deployment of the .bat file which resides in the same folder as my office install on the source location for the package. SCCM downloads the package and then kicks off the batch file. The batch file as you see above does tasks in a specific order that I have written it out to do. I can expand more on it with some pictures when I'm on a different unfiltered network that lets me upload pics if this still doesn't make sense to you.

Hi there,

I am not sure if this post will be active again but this is actually very interesting for me as I am in the middle of upgrade process from Office 2010 to Office 2013 with SCCM.

Your post already provided answers on many question which I have during testing phase of Office 2010 upgrade.

I am using Office Customization Tool to remove all Office 2010 apps and find my self confused by having SharePoint Workspace and Office 2010 Suite apps disabled but not uninstalled in Control Panel / Programs and Features. Uninstall XML file is configured and stored in source location.

Uninstall command during upgrade process (deploying Office 2013 app):

\\server\share\Office15\setup.exe /uninstall ProPlus /config  \\server\share\Office15\ProPlus.WW\SilentUninstallConfig.xml

I understand SharePoint Workspace is not present in 2013 and can't be removed during upgrade process.

Additionally I don't want to leave traces of Office 2010 in computers after upgrade as users can start manually enabling some features in Office 2010 and create night mare.

Even though I selected options ''remove all'' in OCT ( Office Customization Tool ) it keeps Office 2010 only disabled but not completely uninstalled.

Is it possible to have pictures presented to make sure I am following right steps?

Thanks

sorry blaf. I do have it working now but I cannot find the guide I used. basically its the same as above guides but in the deployment types it runs a powershell script called deploy-application.ps1 and what it does is prior to installing office 2013 this script removes office 2010 including the sharepoint parts and then installs office 2013. I really am sorry I can't find the guide anymore