Hooba

SCCM 2012 R2 CU5 OSD and MDT 2012 Install Updates Offline step issues

Hi Guys,

I'm having some issues with Install Updates Offline step with SCCM 2012 R2 CU5 and MDT 2012. I'm deploying Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64bit.

We have setup our Software Update deployment packages on monthly bases so each month has corresponding package to be deployed. Example would be "Windows 7 Updates - April 2015" and normal deployment of this package works fine to collection of workstations.

Now, since Deployment packages for Windows updates are not available to "Install Updates Offline" step in OSD I have read one of the threads here on Technet as well as referenced on MYITFORUM here, that you can just create a regular package that points to the source where your Software Update Deployment Package is stored. I have tried this, however that didn't work. I received an error that stated that Empty package was found and therefore nothing was processed. Then I thought maybe the reason why this is the case is that I didn't use "Copy the content in this package to a package share on distribution points" option , so we tried that and it didn't work either. I am providing links to smsts.log, ztipatches_DISM.log below, if needed, so if you guys would be kind and look at them and let me know if anything looks out of place?

What I would really like to know is how exactly to setup an updates package that can be used with "install updates offline" step in OSD. This would include package settings, and positioning in TS? Should I do this step in WinPE like I used to do in SCCM 2007 or should I do it after "Restart to OS" step? Currently I have following order in our TS:

1) Apply Operating System

2) Use Toolkit Package

3) Apply Windows Settings

4) Gather

5) Apply Network Settings

6, 7, 8) Windows 7 Updates - April, May June 2015 as separate steps.

9) installing other apps that work fine...

All of the steps in TS execute without an error and TS finishes fine, however no updates get installed at all.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

smsts.log

ZTIPatches.log

ZTIPatches_DISM.log