xc3ss1v3

Help! -- SQL Server Log files Filling up HD

Hey everyone. I've run into an issue where the log files located at \\SQLServer\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.InstanceName\MSSQL\Log are not only filling up the hard drive, once it's filled, log files are continually written to the folder, just at 0KB each.

I first noticed a problem when I no longer saw new systems being brought into the SCCM database after being joined to the domain and a system discovery cycle running. I looked at adsysdis.log for clues and found that the last discovery failed at the approximate time we had other servers (Exchange) have issues because of network problems. Those issues have been remedied, but since that time, nothing else has been written to the log file. I've attributed that to not being to run a discovery because of the issue noted above.

For a brief description of the environment, I'm operating in a heirarchy with a Central Admin Site, Primary Site, and distribution points. There is a separate dedicated SQL server hosting a SQL instance for each site.

I've done the typical, first reaction type things such as: backing up then clearing the log files, restarting the SQL services, restarting eacy site server and sql server, but none of it seems to resolve.

I know this is vague, but I really was not sure where to start troubleshooting the problem from here without some pointers. Any help would be appreciated. Happy to supply log files as needed.

Ok so lets get the setup down first.

You have a Seperate server with SQL hosting your CM DB.

Is this server setup to SQL Server best practices (seperate OS on disks, SQL on disk, SQL Tempdb on disk, SQL logs on disk) to allow for the appropriate performance?

For instance my SQL logs drive is only 12.8Gb in size of data and is 2x146gb 15k sas drives and I have had my system up for almost 2.5 years. Those logs are for not only SCCM but for the Reporting Server and SUSDB logs as well.

If this is a shared SQL Server then how are you isolating it to SCCM logs that are causing the data usage and not one of the other intances?

Ok so lets get the setup down first.

You have a Seperate server with SQL hosting your CM DB.

Is this server setup to SQL Server best practices (seperate OS on disks, SQL on disk, SQL Tempdb on disk, SQL logs on disk) to allow for the appropriate performance?

For instance my SQL logs drive is only 12.8Gb in size of data and is 2x146gb 15k sas drives and I have had my system up for almost 2.5 years. Those logs are for not only SCCM but for the Reporting Server and SUSDB logs as well.

If this is a shared SQL Server then how are you isolating it to SCCM logs that are causing the data usage and not one of the other intances?

Yes, it is a server dedicated only to the CM databases. The OS is on a seperate disks from the databases, though the log files are not seperated. I feel like I can safely assume is the SCCM logs because of the folder location (not to mention it only hosting the CM databases).