pembertj

SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 Task Sequence Powershell ADK 10 (Error: 800703E9)

Out of curiosity could you both give a few more details about your set up?

We run tests on Hyper-V; SCCM single server setup and a few clients on one subnet, nothing fancy.

However your question made me think – we use several of these test environments on various hardware with different level of performance (different CPUs, mechanical HDD in some cases, SSD in others). I realized that the high performance environments where more impacted, one in particular. On that system we had 100 % failures.

Our test clients typically have 2 CPU an 4 GB RAM; when I changed that giving the client only 1 CPU and also reducing the “Virtual machine limit” to 75 % it all started to work. Obviously something is going to fast when Powershell / DotNet is loading…..

Of course this isn’t of much help IRL, the issue is still very much alive…..

MP is VMware (server 2008 r2) - SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 CU1 and ADK 10

DPx2 are physical servers

SQL on a physical server - server 2012, sql 2008 r2

Test machines are on many different subnets using ip-helpers

My PXE test machine is on the same subnet so I'm not using any helpers or DHCP options.

The only optional components in my boot images are

WinPE-NetFx

WinPE-PowerShell

WinPE-DismCmdlets

WinPE-StorageWMI

but I'll probably take out DismCmdlets and StorageWMI

So tonight I got a call from Microsoft, this time from another department.

He had me try the boot.wim that is included in the Windows 10 media. I went through all the steps to add .Net and PowerShell and we encountered the exact same issue as before.

I think they are starting to narrow their focus onto WDS since the issue only presents itself during PXE boot.

Dewayne

I did a little more experimenting this morning.

I set up a standalone WDS server and imported my SCCM boot image. Powershell failed.

I set up brand new boot images using the winpe.wim in ADK 10. I added Powershell and it's dependencies with dism and added it to WDS. Powershell still failed.

I took the boot.wim provided with the Windows 10 enterprise media and added Powershell with dism. Powershell still failed.

At this point there are no SCCM components involved at all.

is it only in the WinPE phase (x:) that it fails with PowerShell ?

Yes, so far that's been the case... However, by limiting the available Resources (CPU), as described above, it works in most cases - that behaviour is binary... 2 CPU == 100 % failure, 1 CPU == 80 % Success....

can you guys clarify if you upgraded CM12R2 to SP1 after updating to Windows ADK 10 or did you replace Windows ADK 8.1 with Windows ADK 10 after the event ?

if after, did you follow Brandons advice here ?

Upgraded to CM12R2 SP1 with Win 8.1 ADK, then updated ADK to 10 at a later date.

so did you follow brandons advice as i linked to ?

I did see that page before I installed Win10 ADK but I'm guess I'm confused why I need to mess with DISM and manually adding the CABS when I can just point SCCM to the WIM and use optional components that is built into the console...?

I will go through the steps anyway and report back...

~Tom