FazzaGBR

Image Capture Wizard Fails With Error Code (0x00004005)

I think this happens when you click start before running sysprep. Something about clicking start in Windows 10 seems to trigger store app installs.

Also you can fix by creating a new local user, logging in as the new local user, delete local admin profile using control panel, log in as local admin (dont click start) delete new user profile and account, run capture media.

If you are customizing an image prior to capture (and sysprep) as local administrator etc, try doing so without clicking start, or dump the local administrator profile mentioned above. Seems kind of retarded, perhaps I should have been using Audit Mode, although I read the same issue happens in that scenario as well. Anyway, you will save a little HDD space by running sysprep from a newly created profile.

• Like 1

Thanks Adam Bise this saved the day for me, spent the better part of yesterday trying to get the Capture to run but kept getting sysprep failed, came in early today to have a fresh look at it and deleting the original profile I used to setup and configure W10, worked for me.

In case it helps anyone else with this problem, I got this with a Gen 2 VM. Created a Gen 1 VM and it got past the error (still waiting for it to fully capture though...).In case it helps anyone else with this problem, I got this with a Gen 2 VM. Created a Gen 1 VM and it got past the error (still waiting for it to fully capture though...).

Wow, I had an account for this site already that worked...

Since I have this problem constantly with Windows 10 and always get this forum on my searches.. here are my steps to resolve it.   (Other employees build their own images, so they constantly f-up the local admin account).

1.  Run the Powershell command  'Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage'

2.  As someone stated above, configure your registry settings for SysPrep.

1. Open regedit and look for:

2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\SysprepStatus\CleanupState\ 
    Set to value: 2

3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\SysprepStatus\GeneralizationState\ 
    Set to value: 7

4. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\SkipRearm 
    Set to value: 

5. Then, run the command:

msdtc -uninstall (wait a few seconds) 
    msdtc -install (wait a few seconds)

3.  From the Windows link above  (except my edits to make it work)

1. Run the Import-Module Appx PowerShell cmdlet.
  2. Run Import-Module Dism.
  3. Run Get-AppxPackage -AllUser | Where PublisherId -eq 8wekyb3d8bbwe | Format-List -Property PackageFullName,PackageUserInformation.
  4. Delete whatever account is tied to all of your Appx packages.
  5. Reboot the computer and create a new local admin
  6. Reboot the computer and login to your new admin account.
  7. Capture the image as your new admin account.

Using these steps, I have been able to resolve all of my Windows 10 capture issues.  The final step where I capture with a clean admin account has worked every time.

Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.SkypeApp | Remove-AppXPackage
Get-AppXPackage -Name 46928bounde.EclipseManager | Remove-AppXPackage
Get-AppXPackage -Name ActiproSoftwareLLC.562882FEEB491 | Remove-AppXPackage
Get-AppXPackage -Name AdobeSystemsIncorporated.AdobePhotoshopExpress | Remove-AppXPackage
Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.BingNews | Remove-AppXPackage
Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.NetworkSpeedTest | Remove-AppXPackage
Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Office.Sway | Remove-AppXPackage
Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.RemoteDesktop | Remove-AppXPackage