balubeto

Take ownership of a not system directory structure

Question

Hi

Should I take ownership and get full control of the entire contents of a not system directory structure (also containing files and symbolic links and not) that, now, this check belongs to TrustedInstaller or System users.

Then, from the Command Prompt, how do I do this?

Thanks

Bye

8 answers to this question

Ok, I will bite, why do you want to do this in the first place?

With the command

takeown /f "<Apply_Directory_Path>" /R /A /D Y

I can take ownership of the entire contents of this structure but can not delete it.

My problem is that of having to delete the entire contents of the structure created with the commands

Dism /Apply-Image /ImageFile:"<wim_File_Path>\install.wim" /Index:1 /ApplyDir:"<Apply_Directory_Path>" /Verify /CheckIntegrity

Dism /Capture-Image /ImageFile:"<Windows_Files_Path>\sources\install.wim" /CaptureDir:"<Apply_Directory_Path>" /Name:"<Edition_name>" /Description:"<Description_name>" /Compress:max /Verify /CheckIntegrity

Then, using the Command Prompt, how do I do this?

Thanks

Bye

With the command

takeown /f "<Apply_Directory_Path>" /R /A /D Y

I can take ownership of the entire contents of this structure but can not delete it.

My problem is that of having to delete the entire contents of the structure created with the commands

Dism /Apply-Image /ImageFile:"<wim_File_Path>\install.wim" /Index:1 /ApplyDir:"<Apply_Directory_Path>" /Verify /CheckIntegrity

Dism /Capture-Image /ImageFile:"<Windows_Files_Path>\sources\install.wim" /CaptureDir:"<Apply_Directory_Path>" /Name:"<Edition_name>" /Description:"<Description_name>" /Compress:max /Verify /CheckIntegrity

Then, using the Command Prompt, how do I do this?

I'm still not understanding what exactly the problem is. So you have applied a WIN to a computer????? And now you are trying to capture it?????

I'm still not understanding what exactly the problem is. So you have applied a WIN to a computer????? And now you are trying to capture it?????

Simply, now, I would like to delete the entire contents of the Apply_Directory_Path directory?

So, what are the commands to do this?

Some directories/reg keys are protected, even from an Administrator. use the local System account to delete the folders.

How do I do this?

I also hidden and system files in this structure.

I also have a subdirectory structure that I can not see its owner, and when I try to open it, File Explorer request the sysadmin authorization although I am logged on with an Administrators account. Why?

How do I prevent this? Using the Command Prompt, how do I become owner of this subdirectory structure with complete control over it so that I can also delete it?

So, what is your solution?

Thanks

Bye

I think I found the best solution to remove a directory structure which also contains symbolic links and with ACLs managed by TrustedInstaller or Authenticated Users or System users:

takeown /F "<Directory_path>" /A /R /D Y /SKIPSL >nul 2>&1
icacls "<Directory_path>" /reset
icacls "<Directory_path>" /grant:r Administrators:(OI)(CI)F /inheritance:e /Q /C /T /L >nul 2>&1
pushd "<Directory_path>" && ( rd /S /Q "<Directory_path>" 2>nul & popd )

Thanks

Bye