iqnet

problems with windows 7 and firefox guide

Question

Hi,

First thanx for the best guide on sccm installation and configuration out there that i could find anywhere. Digged it. :)

My installation is straight forward with SCCM 2007 SP2 RC witch is supposde to support Win7 or is it just me dreaming?

I am having problem deploying Firefox by following the guide you have, and the problem is that i get the advertisment on my win7 client and i choose to run the program but after that nothing happens, no program ever installs, i get no errors and the advertisment never reapears.

Under component status am getting this error:

Severity Type Site code Date / Time System Component Message ID Description

Error Milestone IQH 2009-10-22 14:04:25 SCCMSRV01 SMS_WSUS_CONFIGURATION_MANAGER 6600 SMS WSUS Configuration Manager failed to configure upstream server settings on WSUS Server "SCCMSRV01".

Checked Wsus and what i can see it is running..

Am kinda stuck with not knowing where to look next? any help is apriciated.

The sccm klient installed without any problems on the win7 client.

Thanx.

Found out the initial problem, i accualy missspelled the .exe file under program action, funny. Now i corrected the problem but how do i redeploy the program to my client or is this going to be done by itself?

Edited by anyweb

7 answers to this question

you could just delete the advertisement and recreate it, that would be the easiest thing for you

Thank you for the replay anyweb. Just trying to get a hang on this pretty powerful peace of software. Is there any good guide out there on how a uninstall process would be set up? for example uninstalling firefox on the client machine with sccm?

Kinda cant find anything that really explains it all.

to continue on what Peter said, any package can have a program (or programs, or even none at all)

when it comes to advertising a package you get the choice of what program to run, so you could create a separate advertisement for the same package which uses a different program, and the different program is simply the silent install with the relevant uninstall switches

if you look at this screenshot

post-1-1221207709.jpg

you can imagine a new advertisement and the drop down menu for Program could contain your newly created Uninstall program for Firefox

appdeploy.com gives a lot of good info on installation/uninstallation switches for apps

please give it a try and post your results of same here so that others can benefit

cheers

niall

Thank you again for the replay, i Did just as you said and it worked like a charm.

Created new program for the Firefox 3.5.3 package with command line: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\uninstall\helper.exe" /S

Created new advertisment for the program and it uninstalled firefox.

Thank you for your help.

//IQ

Hey!

I have a problem with Firefox step and vista (http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/499-how-can-i-deploy-an-application-in-sccm-2007-sp1/). I have followed all of your gr8 guides till this came. After i update distribution point, there is no action on my client. I have opened required ports on firewall and still didnt work, after that i turned it off and tried again (i have testing enviroment)... It still wont do anything. I have configed SCCM SP2 by this steps and they look the same so i didn't think it matters if u had R2.

SCCM server: Windows server 2008 R2

client: Windows 7

They bouth run in hyper-v and are connected by virtual network. Bouth of them are joined to my domain.

If u have any ideas i would be very grateful.

Have fun.