anyweb

How can I send notification messages using PowerShell in Microsoft Intune

Introduction

Occasionally you want to inform users about something, such as the need to update or install software, and the easiest way to do that is with some sort of a popup notification. The ability to do that in Microsoft Intune is not currently available in the product although it is a Uservoice item in progress. In the meantime however, if you need to send a notification to users of Windows devices in Microsoft Intune, it's possible using PowerShell and here's how to do it.

The idea here is that you can customize the PowerShell script to deliver the message you want (and if necessary take possible actions, however you need to add your custom code to the script and it must not exceed 200KB). the screenshots below are taken on a Windows 10 version 1709 device enrolled into Intune, the device is logged on as a user with normal permissions (not an Administrator) and this was configured with Windows AutoPilot.

Note: The Intune management extension which is used to run the PowerShell script has the following prerequisites:

• Devices must be joined to Azure AD
  • Devices must run Windows 10, version 1607 or later

Step 1. Download the script

Download the DisplayMessageInIntune.ps1 script.

DisplayMessageInIntune.zip

Step 2. Edit the script in ISE

Launch PowerShell ISE and open the extracted downloaded script. Scroll down to the following values. The values are currently set as PowerShell Parameters with the hope that the current functionality in Microsoft Intune will support Params with PowerShell scripts in the future (I've requested this ability as a DCR to Microsoft directly). If this ability does come to Intune then I will blog an update to this post explaining how to make it dynamic.

parameters.png

When you've changed the message title and message body, you might also want to change the Type and Option available to the user, below are the values you can configure.

$Option can be any of the following values

"OK"
"OKCancel"
"AbortRetryIgnore"
"YesNoCancel"
"YesNo"
"RetryCancel"

$Type can be any of the following values

"Asterisk"
"Error"
"Exclamation"
"Hand"
"Information"
"None"
"Question"
"Stop"
"Warning "

Finally after line 69 you can add any additional code you want, for example to check what key was pressed etc.

Step 3. Upload the script to Microsoft Intune

In the Intune service in Azure select Device Configuration and click on PowerShell Scripts.

device configuration.png

In PowerShell scripts, click on Add.

Enter the following values:

Name: "Display a message in Intune"

Description: "Using PowerShell to messages in Intune"

Script location: DisplayMessageInIntune.ps1

upload script.png

Next click on Settings, Configure to see the options available, 

configure script settings.png

Change the first option so that the script runs with the same permissions as the logged on user.

run as user.png

Click OK when done and then click on Create to create the PowerShell script in Intune.

assign powershell.png

Next click on Assignments to assign the PowerShell script to a Group of Users.

To do that, click on Select Groups and then select a Group of Users that you'd like to assign this to.

assignments.png

Next click on Save to save this group.

save.png

Step 4. Review what happens on a Windows device

On a Windows device, logon using the credentials of a user that is in the selected group that you assigned the PowerShell script to.

Tip: You can restart the Microsoft Intune Management Extension service (as a user account with Administrator permissions) rather than wait one hour for that extension service to run the PowerShell script.

restart the microsoft intune management service.png

Note: Your users don't need to do the service restart, this is just so you get instant gratification and can review the end-result.

After the policy is received the message popup is displayed on top of all windows.

this is a popup message.png

result !

Troubleshooting

You can review 2 logs files, one is the log file for Microsoft Intune Management Extension:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\IntuneManagementExtension\Logs\IntuneManagementExtension.log

intune management extension log.png

and the other is generated by the PowerShell script itself:

C:\Windows\Temp\DisplayMessageInIntune.log

DisplayMessageInIntune log.png

Note: If you want to display the message to a user in SYSTEM context then download serviceUI.exe from the MDT toolkit and launch powershell with that exe, like so... and create a Win32 App instead of using a PowerShell script option.

ServiceUI.exe -process:explorer.exe %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -NoProfile -WindowStyle Hidden -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File DisplayMessageInIntune.ps1

Recommended reading

Thank you, 
I observed that Script settings is "Run this script using the logged on credentials" = "Yes ". 
My requirement is postpone the app installation using AppdeploymentToolKit(CodePlex). Zoom is the application which is going to upgrade ( uninstall old version and install new version) & this is the core application, so all machines having it. To execute this application administrative rights required. So using above Script settings can't keep "Yes". Is there any other way to provide pop-up message box from Intune. 

Note: I am using Powershell AppDeploymentToolKit.

Send a custom notification to groups

1. Sign in to the Microsoft Intune admin center with an account that has permission to create and send notifications, and go to Tenant administration > Custom notifications.

2. On the Basics tab, specify the following and then select Next to continue.

Title – Specify a title for this notification. Titles are limited to 50 characters.
Body – Specify the message. Messages are limited to 500 characters.

3. On the Assignments tab, select the groups to which you'd like to send this custom notification and then select Next to continue. Sending a notification to a group will target only the users of that group; the notification will go to all iOS/iPad OS and Android devices enrolled by that user.

4. On the Review + Create tab, review the information, and when ready to send the notification, select Create.

Greetings,
Peter

Thank you for this code. I modified it so that I could use the result from the dialog box. This is all I had to do:

$result = ([Windows.Forms.MessageBox]::Show(“$message”, “$title”, [Windows.Forms.MessageBoxButtons]::$Option, [Windows.Forms.MessageBoxIcon]::$Type,$WhichButtonHasFocus,$OnTop))

Write-Host $result

Then I can use the $result for whatever I like.