GauiC

Task Sequence step time-out

Question

I am running task sequence that updates xp computer to Win7.

In that task sequence I added a step to install software, but the software step hangs when running that task sequence. (the program of the software has the maximum allowed run time set to unknown)

Is there some time-out for each step in task sequence?

Or will I need to scrap this update and rerun the task sequence when I have disabled the install software task?

If I would force restart the computer while this steps hangs, what will happend, will the task sequence continue after restart?

2 answers to this question

you'll need to tell us more about what the actual program/update/whatever it is you are trying to install, and show us the SMSTS.log where it is having the problem

you'll need to tell us more about what the actual program/update/whatever it is you are trying to install, and show us the SMSTS.log where it is having the problem

I actually answered one of my questions myself today, if I turn of a computer that was hanging in the install software task, then the task sequence will end there, so it will not continue.

Regarding the other question, then the software itself does not matter, what I am asking about is that if you have a program that is set to maximum allowed runtime to be unknown (normally time is given in minutes, but it is also possible to leave it as unknown), and then if that program will be advertised but something will fail and it will hang, then for how long will it hang if the allowed time is set to unknown? (I know that if I set the allowed time to be 60 minutes, then the program will fail if it hangs for more than 60 minutes.

This is no longer an issue for me because I cancelled the task sequence (force restarted the computer), and changed the program allowed time to be x minutes instead of unknown, so if the program will hang again then it will only hang for x minutes. I am just curious if there is some default max allow runtime if a program is set to unknown, or will the program be allowed to run forever.