MRaybone

Deploying Windows 7 without PXE...

Question

Hi guys,

We already have a PXE system in place on our corp environment, so can't use SCCM's PXE role. Can all the OSD stuff be done without using PXE? Is there a boot CD alternative or something similar?

Cheers,

MRaybone.

9 answers to this question

yup, in the OSD section, expand task sequences, select your deploy 7 task sequence, right click on it, choose Create Task Sequence Media, the first option is probably best for you, (Standalone) you can create bootable USB keys, or CD/DVD's

cheers

niall

Ok brilliant! I started reading your Deploy 7 giude, which referred me back a couple of guides so I'm going through the Vista ones - I take it I can pretty much just ignore all the PXE related stuff and just shoe-horn in the boot media stuff when required?

the bootable option just replaces the PXE boot and not a whole lot more, meaning you use it in areas where you cannot use PXE

the standalone option puts everything on your usb key/cd/dvd which is cool and can be faster when it comes to deployments covering usmt4/large wims/large apps/etc

yup, in the OSD section, expand task sequences, select your deploy 7 task sequence, right click on it, choose Create Task Sequence Media, the first option is probably best for you, (Standalone) you can create bootable USB keys, or CD/DVD's

cheers

niall

Can Win7 be deployed using SCCM to machines that already have the SCCM client?

Yup

Peter,

I admit that I don't know much about SCCM. I have been able to capture a preconfigured image with Office and othe Applications. I can push that image out to other machines but what I really want to do is to push it to XP machines that have the SCCM client on them, capture the user data and put the data back after the image process. I have read that the user state can't be captured when PXE booting and since I have the client on the machines already, I would think that I should be able to do what I'm trying to do. Are there any clear, concise, step by step instructions anywhere to assist me with what I'm trying to do?

Thanks!

Rick

It is possible tou save the user state also. I know there is a guide somewhere on this forum, but there is also one on my blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/post/Capture-User-Files-and-Settings-in-Offline-Mode-(WinPE)-with-ConfigMgr-2007.aspx

Several questions. If I can see the machine in Config Manager does that mean that I can deploy to it? I assume it needs the client.

I created a task sequence and try to push it to a machine that has the client and nothing happens. Should I be able to go to the Run Advertised Programs on the client machine and see that task?

I have tried to do the offline PXE USMT without success. It bombs at the PXE boot. It's very frustrating. I'm just looking for some clear concise steps on how to migrate multiple users from XP to Windows 7. I do want to use SCCM but I don't care if it is a PXE boot or a push to a machine with the SCCM client on it.