yeah yeah

Cannot Ping / Browse New Server 2008

I'm working with a newly built Win2K8 x64 server.

It was locked down with a number of changes added to the security policy. Just recently, no other machine can ping or browse to the server. It is joined to the domain, but you cannot ping it, browse to it, or anything. Have no clue what to do. This wasn't always the case, but just started to happen. From the server, I can see everything, ping anything, connect to intranet/Internet. The server purpose is IIS/SQL2K5/SCCM. Doesn't do too well if nothing out there can see the server...

I believe this has to deal with local security and global security. I've never dealt with 2K8, so not sure what to check. I was going to turn the Windows firewall on, but it's disabled, and the service hay depends on, Base Filtering is also disabled.

Thoughts??

Lots of changes based on the Strengthing Guide recommended by Microsoft on locking down Win2k8. This is a government environment, and has strict guidelines regarding STIGs.

But the thing is...everything was working for the first week or 2, then all of a sudden, the server locked itself all the way up. All the services locked up, turned themselves off, and had access denied, so we couldnt enable anything.

We had to take a Security Template from another server, apply it to this to turn everything back on again. But I have a feeling that some of the things are still locked.

I want to say that it's a conflict between local and group policy. But I'm not sure what to look for.

This server is pretty much running in complete stealth mode. Nothing on the network can see it. Example, if I'm on the server, and connect to another workstation\server share...the other machine won't know that I'm on there. If you look at active sessions, the machine doesn't show up.