anyweb

How can I renew an expired secret in an Azure Function app

Introduction

If you've been looking at my guides, you'll know that I've used httptriggers in functionapps to add functionality to Windows Autopilot, below are some examples of that.

• Adding devices to an Azure AD group after Windows Autopilot is complete - part 1
  • Adding devices to an Azure AD group after Windows Autopilot is complete - part 2
  • Gathering logs and sending an email when resetting Windows Autopilot - part 1
  • Gathering logs and sending an email when you need to reset Windows Autopilot - part 2
  • Gathering logs and sending an email when you need to reset Windows Autopilot - part 3
  • Adding devices or users to an Azure AD group after Windows Autopilot is complete but only when the device is marked as Compliant
  • Using the updated & secure Retire My PC app via Company Portal

These work great, but for security reasons the secret attached to the function app itself will expire (after 6 months by default) and should be renewed before that time.  Trust me, I learned the hard way.

Discovering the problem

You might forget to renew the secret and that's when you'll notice things not behaving the way they should. I first became aware of the problem before Christmas, I came into work on the Monday, and kicked off some Windows Autopilot installs but they didn't work correctly. I noticed that the triggers responsible for adding devices to Azure AD groups after Windows Autopilot is complete, but only when the device is marked as compliant were no longer working. I started my investigation on a client with the issue, and the following was reported in the log file. One line jumped out at me, UPN not found, FATAL.

Yeah, that doesn't sound good.

upn not found FATAL.png

I then logged into Azure and found the trigger responsible. I fed it with some known good values and looked at the output. The first thing to note is it output the same error (1), even though I supplied a known good UPN (2). Therefore, I knew the error UPN not found, FATAL was a red-herring. I also noticed that there were error code 401 (unauthorized) in the console output (3). That was my first clue !

reproduced the problem on the trigger.png

Next, I select App Registrations in Azure Active Directory, selected the Graph_function app and was greeted with a red error on top showing me that a certificate or secret had expired.

expired secret.png

Clicking on Certificates and secrets, showed the expired secret.

certificates and secrets.png

Fixing expired secrets

Now that I identified the problem, it was time to fix it. In the Certificates & secrets section, click on + New client secret (1), give it a suitable name (2), select when it expires from the drop down menu (3) and finally Add it (4).

New client secret.png

The new secret will appear. Notice the expiry date.

new secret created.png

Now, copy the new secret value.

copy to clipboard.png

Next, locate the trigger(s) that use the previous secret. It's stored as $AccessSecret in my httptrigger examples.

expired secret in the trigger.png

Replace that expired value with the value you copied from the newly created secret and then save your changes.

save new secret.png

Job done !

Repeat the above exercise for each trigger that uses the expired secret.

Conclusion

Nothing lasts forever, especially secrets. Now that you know how to renew your expired secrets, maybe it's a good idea to look at your app registrations and take note of when they expire, and pro-actively renew them before they expire next time ! If you'd like to automate that take a look at Peter Klapwijk's post here.