boozecow

Task Sequence - Too many tasks ?

Question

I'm facing a strange problem, my task sequence stop working when I'm adding steps to it...

As soon as I add "install software" (at some point, not always at the first one) steps into it, the task sequence stop at the task "Restart in Windows PE"

Wondering if anybody else experiented this issue ?

Task Sequence resume:

Install Operating System

Restart in Windows PE

(Restart Computer with boot image assigned)

Partition Disk (Format and Partition Disk)

Apply Operating System (Apply Operating System Image)

Apply Windows Settings (Apply Windows Settings)

Custom Drivers New PC

Apply Device Drivers (Auto Apply Drivers)

Setup Operating System

Setup Windows and configMgr (Setup Windows and ConfigMgr)

Deploy Applications

SCCM Toolkit Version 2 (Install Software)

W7 Language Pack French (Install Software)

Microsoft Office 2010 (Install Software)

Ms Office 2010 French LP (Install Software)

DOT NET 4.0 (Install Software)

Drivers Software

Vmtools Soft Drivers (Install Software)

Add PC to Domain HB

JoinDomain Command Line)

Restart Computer

2 answers to this question

I find my answer trying to create a task media with my task sequence.

I was not able to create my task media (error that report missing package...)

One of the package has a corrupted Distribution Point entries...I saw it from the system status | Site status | sms_distribution_manager.

I deleted this package, recreate it and I'm now back on track.

Error was:

SMS Distribution Manager failed to process package "W7 Language Pack French " (package ID = MTL00015).

Possible cause: Distribution manager does not have access to either the package source directory or the distribution point.

Solution: Verify that distribution manager can access the package source directory/distribution point.

Possible cause: The package source directory contains files with long file names and the total length of the path exceeds the maximum length supported by the operating system.

Solution: Reduce the number of folders defined for the package, shorten the filename, or consider bundling the files using a compression utility.

Possible cause: There is not enough disk space available on the site server computer or the distribution point.

Solution: Verify that there is enough free disk space available on the site server computer and on the distribution point.

Possible cause: The package source directory contains files that might be in use by an active process.

Solution: Close any processes that maybe using files in the source directory. If this failure persists, create an alternate copy of the source directory and update the package source to point to it.