Kevin79

Secondary sites...

Question

I'm testing SCCM and have set up a secondary site off of my main site. How do I tell if it is working properly? From what I can tell, none of my clients are using it as their management point even though I set up the boundary under site settings and even told SCCM that it is a "protected site system" and setup the boundary there (under site systems) (which will lead to another question in a few). When I go to a client though, it shows that the site code is SMS:COR (my primary site) and the management point is my primary site server.

When I try to have SCCM install the client on a computer that should belong to the secondary site, nothing happens. The only way I can get the client to install is to uncheck the box for "Include only clients in this site's boundaries". How would I push out the client to computers in my secondary sites?

A Secondary Site cannot have its own Management Point (MP), it can only have a Proxy Management Point (PMP). This also means it is not possible to assign clients to a Secondary Site, only to a Primary Site. Connecting Boundaries to a Secondary Site is only for the use of the Distribution Point (DP) and the use of a PMP (to control the network bandwith).

For the Client Push take a look here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb632380.aspx

If you enable client push installation on a secondary site, make sure that the SMSSITECODE property is set to the Configuration Manager 2007 site name of its parent primary site. If the Active Directory schema is extended for Configuration Manager 2007, you can also set this to AUTO to automatically find the correct site assignment.

A Secondary Site cannot have its own Management Point (MP), it can only have a Proxy Management Point (PMP). This also means it is not possible to assign clients to a Secondary Site, only to a Primary Site. Connecting Boundaries to a Secondary Site is only for the use of the Distribution Point (DP) and the use of a PMP (to control the network bandwith).

For the Client Push take a look here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb632380.aspx

How would I verify that my clients are using the correct MP or PMP then?

Correct, configure Client Push at the Secondary Site.

Do I just configure Client Push exactly like I do for my primary site? I.E. Both sites have "Enable Client Push Installation to assigned resources" checked under General, same accounts under Accounts and SMSSITECODE=WIN under Client. Is that correct?

Ok, 1 more thing (for now!). I got the client to install when the computer is in the boundaries of the secondary site. Looking at the install log (C:\Windows\System32\CCMSetup\ccmsetup.log) it looks like it is downloading the files from the Primary site over http. What roles do I need to install on my Secondary site or what do I need to do to get the client to install from the local server and not my primary server?