Psylak

Windows 7 Migration via PXE boot?

Question

Hi all,

I have recently succesfully deployed SCCM 2007 R2 at a client site primarily to be used for OS deployment. I created a MDT client task sequence which when advertised to a windows XP workstation will succesfully migrate to windows 7 and when advertised to a bare metal machine via PXE will sucefully load a fresh copy of Windows 7.

What I would like to achieve is to get the same XP to 7 migration effect but via PXE boot instead, I tested the PXE boot on a workstation loaded with Windows XP but this still causes the HDD to be partitioned and formatted and no profiles are captured.

The reason for this is due to the ConfigMgr client not sucesfully being pushed to the workstations and manual install is also a bit fiddly due to higher than normal security policies on the domain.

All machines will be deployed with windows 7 with the ConfigMgr client already included so I dont want to waste time fiddling with XP and client installations if everything can be done via PXE boot

Please advise

Thanks

4 answers to this question

theres no problem migrating from xp to windows 7 via pxe boot, what issue are you seeing exactly ??? can you post your logs ?

Well basically I'm not that great at creating my own customised task sequnces, the one I'm using right now is the one from MDT - Client Task Sequence, which works perfectly when initiated via windows but via PXE it does a fresh install.

I found one of your webcasts:

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1885-webcast-%23-1-using-offline-mode-in-windows-pe/

I believe this is what im looking for?

yeah offline mode in Windows PE is how we do it here, and it works great (however we are also using a HTA Frontend to set some variables, which are in turn looked for in the task sequence)

yeah offline mode in Windows PE is how we do it here, and it works great (however we are also using a HTA Frontend to set some variables, which are in turn looked for in the task sequence)

Thanks, got it working 100%

Really great forum you got going here, keep up the excellent work.

Gonna be doing some research on the HTA frontend now, quite intrigued.