Robert R.

FEP 2010 Client - include in master image or deploy during OSD?

Question

Hello -

We just started to deploy the FEP 2010 client to all of our end user systems over the weekend. I am also using this as an opportunity to update our Windows 7 images (both x86 and x64) since it has the older Forefront client bundled.

My question is it safe to include the FEP 2010 client during the build and capture process or to simply include it as a install software step during an OSD task sequence. I guess my concern is about policy and whether its okay to have this incorporated in the master image.

Thanks to all in advance for your thoughts.

- Robert

9 answers to this question

I Install my FEP Client in my build and capture.

Then i run the apply policy step in my deployment sequence.

Thank you for the advice.

Now my next issue is that the install of FEP 2010 during the build & capture TS has repeatedly failed. I used this as a reference to setup the install program for the FEP package: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/how-to-deploy-the-fep-2010-client-via-osd-and-test-deployment.aspx

I even modified the task sequence so that the install packages download first and I still come up this error: An error occurred while preparing to run the program for advertisement "HDC20581" ("HDC002ED" - "Install - WinPE"). The operating system reported error 2147942402: The system cannot find the file specified. Additional program properties:

Command line: "FEPInstall.exe /s /q "

Working directory:

Drive letter (? = any):

Anything come to mind on how I should correct this?

Thanks again

- Robert

Thank you for the advice.

Now my next issue is that the install of FEP 2010 during the build & capture TS has repeatedly failed. I used this as a reference to setup the install program for the FEP package: http://social.techne...deployment.aspx

I even modified the task sequence so that the install packages download first and I still come up this error: An error occurred while preparing to run the program for advertisement "HDC20581" ("HDC002ED" - "Install - WinPE"). The operating system reported error 2147942402: The system cannot find the file specified. Additional program properties:

Command line: "FEPInstall.exe /s /q "

Working directory:

Drive letter (? = any):

Anything come to mind on how I should correct this?

Thanks again

- Robert

I created a new program for use in task sequences (the original install program has this commandline which wont work in OSD: [cscript.exe Policies\ApplyPolicy.vbs "FEPInstall.exe /s /q"]).

Configure it like this for OSD deploy:

post-2500-0-94704200-1298492380_thumb.png

I created a new program for use in task sequences (the original install program has this commandline which wont work in OSD: [cscript.exe Policies\ApplyPolicy.vbs "FEPInstall.exe /s /q"]).

Configure it like this for OSD deploy:

post-2500-0-94704200-1298492380_thumb.png

Thank you for taking the time to do screenshots, my program setup was mostly correct - I had inadvertently surrounded the command with quotes.

Lastly, when you apply FEP policy during an OSD TS, do you use one of the default policies? Is there any special command switches I need to use for program setup?

Thank you for taking the time to do screenshots, my program setup was mostly correct - I had inadvertently surrounded the command with quotes.

Lastly, when you apply FEP policy during an OSD TS, do you use one of the default policies? Is there any special command switches I need to use for program setup?

I use a custom policy.

When you create a new policy there is a program automatically created under your "Microsoft Corporation FEP - Policies 1.0".

Use this program in your deployment task sequence.

Brillant forum thread, I have tried to add the policy at the end of the task sequence after the FEP Client task sequence which you explained above but it fails with the following which looks like it gets applied during PC Boot?

The program for advertisement "MK120056" failed ("MK100092" - "Staff Desktop Endpoint 2010 Policy"). The failure description was "FEP failed compiling the WMI class CCM_ISV_SoftwarePolicy. Therefore a policy cannot be applied to the FEP client, and the FEP client cannot be deployed. Error code: 0x1".

User context: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Possible cause: The program generated an installation status Management Information Format (MIF) file with a status value of Failed.

Solution: For more information about the failure, refer to the documentation for the program you are distributing.

Is there any other additional config needed?

I use a custom policy.

When you create a new policy there is a program automatically created under your "Microsoft Corporation FEP - Policies 1.0".

Use this program in your deployment task sequence.

Can you provide us a sample of the custom script, removing all sensitive information from it. I guess I need that script. Also, can you note where to store the script.

I created new program in package "Microsoft Corporation FEP - Deployment 1.0". It is used for installation in os deploy task sequence.

name - silent install

command line - SilentInstall.cmd

program can run: whether or not a user is logged

run with administrative rights

suppress program notifications - checked

allow this program to be installed - checked

I created C:\Program Files\Microsoft Forefront\Client\SilentInstall.cmd

xcopy "%~dp0*.*" /e/s/y "%TEMP%\FEPInstall\"

cd %TEMP%\FEPInstall

cscript.exe Policies\ApplyPolicy.vbs "FEPInstall.exe /s /q "

del %TEMP%\FEPInstall\*.* /S /Q

Now it is working.