jpodlipny

Command based USMT

Question

Hi All,

Since (as far as I know) you cannot switch off the encryption and compression of files when running scanstate to the SMP, we have decided to use a custom batch job where we launch USMT the "old fasioned" way, except we want to use a task sequence to start the job. Something like Attachment 1.

The problem is, I can't figure out how to get the Task sequence to display the CMD console on the client computer.

At the moment it runs hidden, all you see is the progress indicator of the TS, but the action halts because it's waiting for your input, to select drives etc...

These are the commands I'm using:

TS1: cmd.exe /c md C:\USMT - To create the folder

TS2: cmd.exe /c XCOPY.EXE /S /Y "\\SERVERNAME\USMT4" "C:\USMT" - To copy the contents to the client computer

TS3: psexec -i -d -s C:\USMT\SCAN4.BAT - To run the BAT file on the client computer (psexec being already in the USMT folder)

At the moment I'm using psexec (which I have in the USMT folder), since that allows you to launch CMD interactively on remote computers, but to my disappointment, it doesn't work that way if the psexec.exe file is actually on the client machine.

Maybe I'm overcomplicating issues here, but we really need to be able to view the data on the SMP before we wipe a computer, I mean, wouldn't you?

Another idea is to copy the data into the startup folder, that would probably work but seems a bit clumsy.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jan

post-7197-0-44444300-1301559246_thumb.png

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet