XistEnCe

Co-exist 2003 and 2010

Question

Hello again!

I've now completed the setup of a new Exchange 2010.

Mail flow is OK, cartificates is ok, and I can reach both web-frontends from the internal network.

Now to the question....

How do I actually pull off the switch, and make them co-exist and avalible from the outside world?

From the intel I've gathered, I've seen that I need to change the domain we use for accessing webmail.

This points to 2003 today, and needs to point to the 2010.

The old server, will be avalible at legacy.ourdomain.com/exchange.

But how will the traffic go?

When a user access mail.ourdomain.com it gets pointed towards the same firewall (non microsoft), as the old one used to.

It will hopefully hit the 2010 CAS (after DNS are fixed), but what happens if the user is still on 2003?

What address will it point the user towards? Will the URL change?

If someone access the webmail today on mail.ourdomain.com (2003), and their mailbox is on 2010; it tries to redirect - to the internal FQDN(!?).

Is this supposed to work both ways?

I'm so puzzled right now, and will be really happy for any replies on this topic!

Hey Again!

Entering the final stage of testing here.

I'm having some problems getting my mobile phone to sync against the 2010 server.

Is there anything special I need to consider when configuring the 2010 environment? Could it be blocked ports, misconfiguration?

I have no idea where to start looking for errors, so if anyone have pointers on where to look - I would be a very happy man!

-Android Phone-

This far, I connect to the domain (which points towards the FW that has NAT towards the exchange behind) and can authenticate against owa.domain.com

I get the list of what items I want to sync, and press the "complete now" button.

Then it just keep working at completing everything, and it just times out - and tells me to try again later.

Is this a known issue for someone?

Appreciate any quick feedback on this!

Just got a heads up about permissions in AD, and inherit (When account is Domain Admin).

Checked and confirmed the permissions are inherited.

Still not working!

Seems like the issue got resolved.

The rights for the account wasn't inherited on one of the DCs (for some reason?).

Now I'm just stuck with Cert issues..

Android devices can sync, but not WinMo 6.5 or iPhones!

Gotta love Exchange :P

Ok, solved this too!

It was a pretty new kind of root certificate, which the WinMo 6.5 didn't have installed.

Installed it manually and it worked.

Info on the syncing apple products didnt include domain, so after inputting that - they all synced.

I'am now a happy man with only one question left!

What happens to calendars and rights to view other peoples calendars after such a move?

Best practices is to use UC/SAN certificate from a trusted provider, but own CA does work but you will need to deploy the root certificates like you said :)

Already got one! Had a quick chat with the provider aswell, and they confirmed my theory about WinMo not supporting that kind of cert.

So the fix is possibly installing the root cert manually (which I will confirm within the next hour or so).

But yeah, what happens to calendars and such? No changes there? Nothing I need to consider?

If there are entries in the calendar of the mailbox, they can be synced using EAS as well

Email, contacts, calendar, tasks etc can be synced

Is this separate from the mailbox itself?

In the case, does these have to be moved manually?

How would one do that?