liquidcourage1

Retrieve bootable USB image into SCCM?

Question

Hi guys,

I'm new to SCCM (super new). We have setup a lab environment through VMWare to test SCCM 2007 and Windows 7 deployment. We use to image all of the laptops to our client with Norton Ghost. The client no longer wants to pay for that licensing so we're looking at another option.

That being said, they provide us with the images to use prior to the deployment since different groups will receive different images and they want to control who gets what. I have a USB key here that has the following file structure with a boot.wim file embedded in the "sources" folder. How do I pull this image into SCCM and use it to image devices. Oh, one more thing... this image holds several versions of the OS with different software packages.

I'm attaching a screenshot of what I'm looking at. Again, how do I import this into SCCM?

A2Tw3.png

4 answers to this question

I have never worked with norton ghost, but i assume that you have the ghost images of the different OS in a file format of .WIM files?

If so then it should be rather easy to import them. You can therefore follow the following guide: http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1169-deploy-windows-7/

I hope this helps you a little.

Cheers

I have never worked with norton ghost, but i assume that you have the ghost images of the different OS in a file format of .WIM files?

If so then it should be rather easy to import them. You can therefore follow the following guide: http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1169-deploy-windows-7/

I hope this helps you a little.

Cheers

We're moving from Ghost to SCCM... BUT we're also changing the OS in the process. Within Ghost we are imaging XP, whereas now we will be imaging Windows 7.

However, the client gave us the "image" shown above and I'm having a hard time importing it into SCCM. The file structure looks like SCCM actually built it and it's used to boot from USB.

sorry to say here again, but i dont have any experience there so i cna only say, as long as you have .WIM images you can import them, for the rest i have to say i dont know,

what is in the sources folder itself?

I think you need to verify what they used to generate the .WIM file from so you know what you're dealing with. Especially verifying that they didn't use Norton products to generate the image (if they did, then they still need to pay for client licensing). And what did you do to get to the part shown in the screenshot?

And on a side note, you might look at using a single image, and then during OSD process, have it install the desired applications for a particular group. You can use something like Jason Sandy's OSD AppTree for a quick GUI interface...