Netmedic

Issue with SCCM Client install OSD

Question

I have a Windows 7 Bare Metal TS that is running perfectly...well almost. I have taken bits and pieces from different ideas to get to a single task sequence for all my new (bare Metal)computers. I want to have all my applications that the computer is suppose to have installed during the TS. On this site I found an excellent idea to use a script to query AD for the groups the computer is in. Since I use AD groups as part of my normal Software deleivery I thought that this would be a great way to incorporate it into my TS. I know have a TS that installs the OS and installs only the applications that the computer/user needs. What I do to achive this is to Pre-create the Computer AD account in Active Directory. I then put that computer account into the proper software deleiver groups that I have allready created. In my TS i have a script that prompts for the computer name. I ensure that I type in the same name as the account I created before. When the application section startes the script goes out and looks up the AD group and if that computer account is found it will install the application.

So far so good.

The issue that I am having is when I go to the collections to view the new computer the client does not show installed. It appears that the discovery that is being used is the SMS_AD_SYSTEM_DISCOVERY rather than the heart beat discovery which is normaly used for a bare metal. I have waited days but the client will never register with SCCM. I have to force a install of the client from the console.

I can only assume it's and issue with me pre-creating the account but SCCM should not even now about the account until my discovery process runs. My AD system discovery only runs 1 time and that is late at night. I do not have any delta discovery turned on or anything.

Can anyone assist with this issue?

3 answers to this question

Have you thought about easier alternatives? Maybe take a look at Jason Sandy's OSD AppTree utility. Either that, or have a script kick off at the beginning of the task sequence to allow you to query AD directly and set task sequence variables. Then later in the TS process, applicationX would only install if variable1 was set to "YES" (or something like that).

You say that you want the software installed during the OS task sequence, but then you say that discovery only runs once late at night. So you pre-create the AD account, wait over 24 hours, and then image it?

Have you thought about easier alternatives? Maybe take a look at Jason Sandy's OSD AppTree utility. Either that, or have a script kick off at the beginning of the task sequence to allow you to query AD directly and set task sequence variables. Then later in the TS process, applicationX would only install if variable1 was set to "YES" (or something like that).

You say that you want the software installed during the OS task sequence, but then you say that discovery only runs once late at night. So you pre-create the AD account, wait over 24 hours, and then image it?

I am doing the app install via a script and variables. I pre-create the account before I run the TS but before the discovery runs.

So if SCCM hasn't discovered the AD object yet, and so it doesn't know what domain groups it's a member of, then how would SCCM know what software the physical client machine would get? If you want to do it all via scripts, then you might have better luck pre-creating the resource object in the SCCM database and making it a direct member of the desired collections. Then at the end of your TS you could have it remove those direct memberships. Like I said before, I think you're taking the harder route to get this done...