Kevin79

SCCM stopped working

My SCCM server stopped working last week and now it doesn't deploy packages nor does it seem to update the collection telling you that the client is installed or not. SCCM does install the client automatically though.

My event viewer has two SMS Server errors and one "Information" message in the Application log. The event id's are 6207, 5480 and 4610. 6207 and 5480 happen every hour.

Here are the details.

Log Name: Application

Source: SMS Server

Date: 8/11/2011 10:30:39 AM

Event ID: 6207

Task Category: SMS_STATE_MIGRATION_POINT

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: holland-sccm.ad.saf-holland.biz

Description:

On 8/11/2011 10:30:39 AM, component SMS_STATE_MIGRATION_POINT on computer HOLLAND-SCCM reported: SMP Control Manager detected SMP is not responding to HTTP requests. The http status code and text is 500, Internal Server Error.

Possible cause: Internet Information Services (IIS) isn't configured to listen on the ports over which SMS is configured to communicate.

Solution: Verify that the designated Web Site is configured to use the same ports which SMS is configured to use.

Possible cause: The designated Web Site is disabled in IIS.

Solution: Verify that the designated Web Site is enabled, and functioning properly.

Possible cause: The SMS ISAPI Application Identity does not have the requisite logon privileges.

Solution: Verify that the account that the SMS ISAPI is configured to run under has not been denied batch logon rights through group policy.

For more information, refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base.

Date: 8/11/2011 10:05:46 AM

Event ID: 5480

Task Category: SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER

Level: Error

Description:

On 8/11/2011 10:05:46 AM, component SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER on computer HOLLAND-SCCM reported: MP Control Manager detected DMP is not responding to HTTP requests. The http status code and text is 500, Internal Server Error.

Possible cause: DMP encountered an error when connecting to SQL Server.

Solution: Verify that the SQL server is properly configured to allow Device Management Point access. If using a standard SQL security account, verify that the SQL Server is configured to allow standard SQL Security; or configure the Device Management Point to use an NT integrated security account, with appropriate access. If using integrated security, verify the account used by the DMP to connect to the SQL server is a member of the SMS_SiteSystemToSQLConnection_<sitecode> group on the SQL server, that the account is not locked out, and that the account password is not expired. (In standard security, the default account is SMS_SQL_RX_<sitecode>.)

Possible cause: The SQL server Service Principal Names (SPNs) are not registered correctly in Active Directory

Solution: Ensure SQL server SPNs are correctly registered. Review Q829868.

Possible cause: Internet Information Services (IIS) isn't configured to listen on the ports over which SMS is configured to communicate.

Solution: Verify that the designated Web Site is configured to use the same ports which SMS is configured to use.

Possible cause: The designated Web Site is disabled in IIS.

Solution: Verify that the designated Web Site is enabled, and functioning properly.

Possible cause: The SMS ISAPI Application Identity does not have the requisite logon privileges.

Solution: Verify that the account that the SMS ISAPI is configured to run under has not been denied batch logon rights through group policy.

For more information, refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base article 838891.

Date: 8/11/2011 9:30:50 AM

Event ID: 4610

Task Category: SMS_COMPONENT_STATUS_SUMMARIZER

Level: Information

Description:

On 8/11/2011 9:30:50 AM, component SMS_COMPONENT_STATUS_SUMMARIZER on computer HOLLAND-SCCM reported: SMS Component Status Summarizer set the status of component "SMS_STATE_MIGRATION_POINT" running on computer "HOLLAND-SCCM" to Warning.

Possible cause: The component is experiencing a problem.

Solution: Diagnose and fix the problem by:

1. Examine the status messages that the component reports.

2. Correcting the problem.

3. Instructing SMS Component Status Summarizer to reset the counts of Error, Warning, and/or Informational status messages reported by the component. To reset the counts, right-click Reset Counts on the component in the Component Status summary in the SMS Administrator console. When the counts are reset, SMS Component Status Summarizer will change the status of the component to OK. This might take some time if site "HOL" is a child site.

4. Deleting any unwanted status messages from the site database, if necessary.

5. Monitor the component occasionally to verify the problem does not reoccur.

Possible cause: The component is OK and you were unnecessarily alerted because the Component Status Thresholds are set too low for the component.

Solution: Increase the Component Status Thresholds for the component using the Thresholds tab of the Component Status Summarizer Properties dialog box in the SMS Administrator console.

Possible cause: The component is "flooding" the status system by rapidly reporting the same message repeatedly.

Solution: Diagnose and control the flood of status messages by:

1. Verifying that the component is actually flooding the status system. View the status messages reported by the component, and verify that the same message is continually reported every several minutes or seconds.

2. Noting the Message ID of the flooded status message.

3. Creating a Status Filter Rule for site "HOL" that instructs Status Manager to discard the flooded status message when component "SMS_STATE_MIGRATION_POINT" on computer "HOLLAND-SCCM" reports it.

4. Verifying that your sites' databases were not filled up by the flooded status message. Delete any duplicate status messages from the site database, if necessary.

5. Refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base for further troubleshooting information.

Any help is appreciated!

In regards to the SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER event log entry, I've had the same issue on my primary site server and on one secondary site server. I verified that all the SPNs where in the DNS and couldn't come up with any better solution than to reinstall the MP system role. This took a while to complete, but it in the end solved that problem. I hope this helps you on the way to solve the problems.

In regards to the SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER event log entry, I've had the same issue on my primary site server and on one secondary site server. I verified that all the SPNs where in the DNS and couldn't come up with any better solution than to reinstall the MP system role. This took a while to complete, but it in the end solved that problem. I hope this helps you on the way to solve the problems.

I tried reinstalling the role but it didn't really help.

I also noticed that on new clients, I only get "Machine Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle" and "User Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle" in Configuration Manager Properties.

I tried reinstalling the role but it didn't really help.

I also noticed that on new clients, I only get "Machine Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle" and "User Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle" in Configuration Manager Properties.

I may be out on thin ice, but did the mpMSI.log put something like this:

Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: SMS Management Point. Product Version: 4.00.6487.2000. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or error status: 0.

almost in the end of the log?

How about MPSetup.log? Did it end with "Installation was successfull"?

Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: SMS Management Point. Product Version: 4.00.6487.2000. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or error status: 0.

Where would I find those logs? On the server or the client?

Where would I find those logs? On the server or the client?

You'll find them on the primary site server located under C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Logs (this is from a Win2K8R2 machine).

Yes, both are in the log files.

Yes, both are in the log files.

Take a look here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb932135.aspx

And go down to where the log file names begin with "smp". I'd go though these log files and look for any particular error. Have you checked if any more components under "System Status - Site status - Your site - Component Status" are showing errors?

Edit:

The information message only gives you a hint that's something is wrong with the SMS_STATE_MIGRATION_POINT component.

Take a look here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb932135.aspx

And go down to where the log file names begin with "smp". I'd go though these log files and look for any particular error. Have you checked if any more components under "System Status - Site status - Your site - Component Status" are showing errors?

Edit:

The information message only gives you a hint that's something is wrong with the SMS_STATE_MIGRATION_POINT component.

In smpmgr.log, I see:

Call to HttpSendRequestSync failed for port 80 with status code 500, text: Internal Server Error

Health check request failed, status code is 500, 'Internal Server Error'.

Every 5 minutes.

In the Component Status I have Warnings for SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER, SMS_STATE_MIGRATION_POINT and SMS_AD_SYSTEM_DISCOVERY_AGENT then in the Site System Status, I have a Critical for ConfigMgr state migration point.