pxedave

Applications vs Packages - interesting observations so far

NOTE: Since creating this post I've learned that you can define .CMD and .EXE installations as Applications (as well as MSI and App-V) by choosing the Manual option on the first screen of the Application creation wizzard. I don't see any reason why anyone would define anything new as a Package anymore; I see Packages as being a legacy thing for those importing data from an existing SCCM 2007 setup.

Starter for ten:

Like Applications, Packages can be deployed as Available or Required.

Like Applications, packages deployed as Required show up in the Software Centre.

With Applications, as well as specifying which OS it CAN installed on (i.e. whitelist) you can also specifiy which OS it CAN NOT install on (i.e. blacklist). With Packages you can only specify which OS it CAN install on.

UDA and OS deployment does not work with Packages; Packages being deployed (Required) to User Collections do not get installed until after the user logs on for the first time whereas Applications get installed ahead of the user logging on.