matt_isda_bomb

PXE Boot images - Deploy this image from PXE service point

HI All,

I'm having some trouble setting up the PXe Boot images.

Everything goes fine up to the point where my site system server tries to copy the boot image to the PXE service point. Using the checkbox "Deploy this image from the PXE service point".

If i don't have it selected it deploys to the DP fine and i have no errors. If it is checked then it doesn't get copied just says "in progress" and then eventually fails.

DistMgr.log shows the error "Failed to process package SC200012 after 0 retries, will retry 100 more times SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER 24/04/2012 14:35:02 5540 (0x15A4)"

Viewing the logs for the SMS)DISTRIBUTION_manager component.

Severity Type Site code Date / Time System Component Message ID Description

Error Milestone SC2 24/04/2012 14:35:02 AdminSCCM.admin.local SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER 2302 Distribution Manager failed to process package "boot" (package ID = SC200012). Possible cause: Distribution manager does not have access to either the package source directory or the distribution point. Solution: Verify that distribution manager can access the package source directory/distribution point. Possible cause: The package source directory contains files with long file names and the total length of the path exceeds the maximum length supported by the operating system. Solution: Reduce the number of folders defined for the package, shorten the filename, or consider bundling the files using a compression utility. Possible cause: There is not enough disk space available on the site server computer or the distribution point. Solution: Verify that there is enough free disk space available on the site server computer and on the distribution point. Possible cause: The package source directory contains files that might be in use by an active process. Solution: Close any processes that maybe using files in the source directory. If this failure persists, create an alternate copy of the source directory and update the package source to point to it.

I have removed the PXE role serveral times and WDS rebooted etc.

I have checked permissions on the RemoteInstall folder and given the SYSTEM account full control and also given the Site Server Full control.

HELP!

Thanks

Matt

I have exactly this problem out at a customer. It seems that there is some kind of rights issue, because when the files are exctraced from the WIM it cant find the folder it extracts the bootfiles to. So check the rights on the folders or the disk where you are putting your remoteinstall directory.

Hi guys,

Googled the Net and came across this forum.

Having exactly the same problem here. I've been pulling out all of my hair in looking for the answer. I've looked at the rights over and over again, but they seem to be ok. It's weird that it only happens when PXE is selected. Without PXE it's distributed just fine just like Matt says. The rest seems ok, but I need this in order to PXE boot the clients. Quite important feature. :)

I got it to work!

What i did was:

Remove DP role from server

Remove WDS

Remove Remoteinstall catalog

Reboot the server

Install WDS manually DONT CONFIGURE

Add the DP role again and add PXE

Wait...

Profit! hopefully! :)

Glad you've got it working. For my situation it doesn't help unfortunately. I'll keep on looking and trying. Found a WDS error event 256 which I seem to have solved now, but so far the same error when trying to distribute a PXE enabled boot image. So frustrating...

Have been working on it all day and looks like it's working now. Haven't tried to PXE boot yet. Will do that later.

I've started from scratch. Removed all SQL, WDS and SCCM related material on the server and installed it using (again) the examples from this site. No more PXE errors, at least not the ones I was getting earlier. I will post an update when I know more. Won't make it today...