devtrends

Capture, Image, Restore (failed) - now what?

Question

Hi,

I have a scenario that I need to figure out a solution to, in the event that it happens in the real world. I have created a few task sequences in SCCM for zero/lite touch imaging using the built in "Capture User State" and "Restore User State" actions. The TS performs the typical set of actions, capture, image, and restore (along with other custom commands). The TS works great in the lab and in a controlled production environment; however, I foresee an issue that I do not know how to resolve.

What happens when a technician runs the TS on some workstations and one workstation fails half way through the imaging piece or fails during the restore state? How do I get the user's files back from the successful scanstate? I know how to locate the .MIG files; however, they are encrypted per SCCM's default scanstate/loadstate command line options.

Any thoughts?

-Aaron

4 answers to this question

The USMT migration is encrypted with a key that is apparently generated by a variable associated with the source computer system (Mac address?). Every time a successful capture is performed in a task sequence (Request State Store, Capture, Release Store) a computer association is created in the "User State Migration" section of Assets and Compliance. If you right click on the computer association and choose "Recovery Information" you can view the store location and the recovery key used to decrypt the capture.

Using that information you can manually run a loadstate command that restores the user data. To assist with this, I wrote an application that my technicians will use to map a drive to the store location and generate the loadstate command line for the restore. If anyone is interested in my approach, I may have a blog post online at some point.

The USMT migration is encrypted with a key that is apparently generated by a variable associated with the source computer system (Mac address?). Every time a successful capture is performed in a task sequence (Request State Store, Capture, Release Store) a computer association is created in the "User State Migration" section of Assets and Compliance. If you right click on the computer association and choose "Recovery Information" you can view the store location and the recovery key used to decrypt the capture.

Using that information you can manually run a loadstate command that restores the user data. To assist with this, I wrote an application that my technicians will use to map a drive to the store location and generate the loadstate command line for the restore. If anyone is interested in my approach, I may have a blog post online at some point.

hi devtrends I'm in a situation where the loadstate Ts has failef. How do I recover the user's profile

to recover users data from a failed restore you can try the following

copy the users statestore data to c:\statestore

copy the USMT folder to c:\tmp

cd to c:\tmp\usmt\x64

open a command prompt as Local Administrator (administrative command prompt)

paste in the following line

loadstate.exe c:\StateStore /c /hardlink /lac:PASSWORD123 /i:MigApp.xml /i:miguser.xml /nocompress /v:13 /l:c:\windows\temp\loadstate2.log

with SMP (state migration Point)

cmd /c loadstate.exe %OSDStateStorePath% /i:miguser.xml /ui:DOMAIN\* /v:1 /l:c:\temp\loadstate.log /decrypt /key:"{C05E32DA-43A9-48F7-99F2-8BA89B89946E}"

replace the lac password with your own, and replace the SMP key with that of the State that was stored on the SMP.