Zahmatra

Retrieving computer of an offline OS (XP) in WinPE environment (USMT offline)

Question

I have a quick question. I have been trying to have a USMT offline task sequence that can run directly from a USB flash drive.

While the normal USMT can pull all the settings like computer name, software installed, etc without any problem; I find myself having a hard time to be able to do similar in offline mode.

The idea is this.

1) Boot from flash drive,

2) Read the settings from the offline XP

3) Set all variables (language, computer name, software, etc)

4) capture profile via USMT offline

5) install Windows 7

6) Restore data via USMT.

I go everything working except the vbs to read the computer name and set it in the OSDComputerName variable. All other variables I was able to get away by checking folder existence.

the vbs contains the following:

Set oShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

Set env = CreateObject("Microsoft.SMS.TSEnvironment")

oShell.Run "cmd.exe /c REG LOAD HKLM\TempHive C:\windows\system32\config\system",0,True

env("OSDComputerName") = oShell.RegRead("HKLM\TempHive\ControlSet001\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName\computername")

The idea is to load the hive, read the registry to obtain the computer name and set it on the OSDComputerName variable. However, this vbs fails to run.

Any idea on what is wrong? Am I making a mistake on the vbs? or is there any other way to pull that info? I know I can just request for the computer name before the TS starting, but I would prefer to have something fully automated.

Thanks

1 answer to this question