UserInterface

Having trouble deploying software through AD\Collections

I have followed the pinned guide but am still having issues,

I am trying to deploy some fonts out to some remote users and thought it would be a good time to get used to SCCM.

I created a group in AD FormataFonts

I added my exe as a software package and set up the distribution points

I created a collection and changed the membership rules query to

"select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.SystemGroupName = "domain.com//FormataFonts" 

I also tried

"select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.SystemGroupName = "domain.com/company/AU/Groups/FormataFonts"

However nothing shows up in the collection.

I have added one computer to the group for now (mine)

Can anyone help with this?

Hi,

Have you enabled AD system Group Discovery? Have you make sure it has run succefully?

If you right-click your computername in all systems and view properties, do you see the group listed then?

I would start by checking that.

Regards,

Jörgen

I think your slashes are backwards. When I look at my queries they show up as

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.SystemGroupName = "domain\\Group Name x86....."

Also, make sure you aren't including that quotation mark ahead of your select statement.

Hi,

Have you enabled AD system Group Discovery? Have you make sure it has run succefully?

If you right-click your computername in all systems and view properties, do you see the group listed then?

I would start by checking that.

Regards,

Jörgen

No...

I see heaps of information about my computer but nothing that shows the actual group name.

There is "Primary Group ID" but I believe that is unrelated.

How can I make sure that "Active Directory Security Group Discovery" run correctly?

I have it set to "Local Domain" and "Recursive & Include Nested Groups" are both ticked.

So I finally found "Queries" and ran "All active directory security groups" and inside there I can see my group that I created for the fonts.

Even with knowing SCCM can find the group there is still nothing showing up in my collection. I also tried with my slashes around the other way as per BB24's suggestion..

To rule out a WQL problem, have you created the query using the query "wizard" specifically around the SMS_R_System.SystemGroupName value? In other words select the properties of your query, select the edit query statement..., select the criteria tab, and select the New criteria icon. It should pop-up the Criterion Properties screen. Criterion Type = Simple value. Press the Select...button and select the Attibute class as System Resource and Attibute as System Group Name. Ok out and select the Value... button which should show the AD Groups available.

I am assuming your clients are Win 7 64-bit., otherwise the file locations will be different.

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CCM\Logs

I believe the logs you want to examine are:

UpdatesDeployment.log

UpdatesHandler.log

UpdatesStore.log

Prior to digging into the logs I would:

1) Look at the systems in your collection (Properties - Advertisements) make sure they are reflecting the advertised package

2) Look at a client and see if the application shows up under Run Advertised Programs (Control Panel - Programs - Run Advertised Programs (32-bit) (RAP)

If steps 1 and 2 are good but the application is not installing, make sure you've set your advertisement up correctly, namely that the advertisement start time is appropriate and that it is set as a mandatory assignment otherwise it will be an optional "pull" done through RAP.