P@docIT

Build and Capture without DHCP

Question

Is it possible to build and capture in SCCM 2007 with static network info or am I just banging my head against the wall? I currently am trying to boot from media, enter network info, and trying to use the capture network to hang on to network settings through out. I have a feeling this futile though. I know I can build the machine and capture via media but I was hoping to do all though the TS.

Any help is much appreciated. I wish our network section would just go to DHCP already and make my life easier.

Mike

3 answers to this question

I have one question why are you trying to B&C and hold onto network settings...it does not make sense as the final image will have the same IP address if you do get it to work successfully...then you will deploy this to others machines and you will have alot of IP address conflicts..(I can only assume that this is what will happen)... I can't see an obvious way around this...other than setting up DHCP and as you have suggested yourself would be away much easier..

Could you just not deploy a standard image deployment TS form a capture media to target machines that have static addresses etc...and in this TS capture network settings etc...at the begining of the TS.....now this will work for you and you do not need DHCP!!

I guess already knew that having static IP info defeats the purpose of a base deployment image, i guess I was just hoping someone a lot smarter than me figured out a way to do it.

I do already capture and retain static network info in my 32bit Win 7 deployment and I will do the same once I have the 64bit done.

I was just being lazy in the fact that i didn't want to build the machine manually and use capture media but I guess I must.

Thanks for the reply! :)

Actually i am doing the build and capture just with MDT2012 now on a VM with bridged network. Its DHCP but can be configured static too of courseOf course you have to import the base applications in MDT this way, but we have only 15 now, and you can refer to the SCCM Sources without copying them to the imaging machine.

The VM gets booted with a PXE iso file.

The benfit is that you can use the captured image with any other deployment type (like Ghost). It's also way faster than the SCCM Imaging.