kerber0s

Application Catalog error when requesting permission

I'm having a problem that reared its ugly head about a week ago. When a user requests approval to install an app and clicks the "submit" button after typing in the reason they receive an error stating "The application request could not be completed. You have limited permission to request and install applications on this computer......". I have attached a screen shot of the exact error. I have combed through all of the logs I can think of and can't find anything. I've also gone through the IIS logs and nothing jumps out there either. I uninstalled and reinstalled the App Catalog Web Services Point and the App Catalog Website Point to no avail. There is only one other person that has access to make changes to our config manager environment and he hasn't made any changes that would affect this. I'm at a loss. I have opened a ticket with Microsoft but we only have email support that is unlimited and they take a day or two between each email so if anyone has any ideas let me know. If I get this resolved with Microsoft before I get an answer here I will post my findings/fix.

-Kerb

post-18100-0-81899800-1352901428_thumb.jpg

if you look at the 4 reasons listed are any of them true ? have you ruled out all 4 ?

secondly what does the ConfigMgrSoftwareCatalog.log listed in the Troubleshooting section of this post tell you about the problem

and lastly, if you select the Monitoring workspace in the ConfigMgr Console and select Deployments, select your application deployment listed and choose View Status does it reveal the reason why the application deployment failed on this computer ?

Any further news on this? I've just had this appear on one user's machine. They can install software ok if they are on a different machine, so it's not account permissions as far as I can see...........

Aerobatic - Not 100% sure that our issues are the same because it sounds like your issue is only affecting one users and my problem is global. However, hopefully this will help you out.

Sorry for the late response on this one. Finally figured out the cause. It appears that we inadvertently changed the Computer Agent setting for the default client settings to "Only Administrators". We originally had it set for "All Users" as shown below. Hopefully this will help someone out in the future.

-Kerb

post-18100-0-82888000-1354810612_thumb.jpg

Hey All,

Sorry to revisit this, but I'm having extremely similar problems here. I receive the same application request error shown at the beginning of this conversation, and also recieve it when just installing an application from the application catalog (if no administrator approval is required).

If I deploy the application to a device collection, it works exactly as expected and the install goes off w/o issue.

The problem isn't any of the 4 conditions listed in the error, as that's easy enough to check.

ConfigMgrSoftwareCatalog.log on the client gives me the following:

[1][03/01/2013 07:46:52] :ApplicationDetailViewModel.CanUserInstall-Error:User is not allowed or supported to install on the current machine
[1][03/01/2013 07:46:52] :PortalViewModel.UpdatePortalState:change IsPortalStateUpdated to False
[1][03/01/2013 07:46:52] :PortalContext.UpdatePortalState:Shared Portal State initialized: Microsoft.ConfigurationManager.SoftwareCatalog.Website.PortalControls.PortalState
[1][03/01/2013 07:46:52] :PortalContext.HandleEventOnDemand:begin handling PortalStateChanged
[1][03/01/2013 07:46:52] :PortalContext.HandleEventOnDemand:handle event in target 'Microsoft.ConfigurationManager.SoftwareCatalog.Website.PortalControls.SoftwareLibrary.ApplicationRequestPageView'
[1][03/01/2013 07:46:52] :ApplicationRequestPageView:Create Page View RequestWizardError
[1][03/01/2013 07:46:52] :PortalContext.HandleEventOnDemand:end handling PortalStateChanged

CCMSDKProvider.log in windows\ccm\logs gives the following, which I assume is part of the problem:

Making call to Verify the signature. CCMSDKProvider 3/1/2013 8:10:35 AM 2424 (0x0978)
Making calls to Verify the user and timestamp. CCMSDKProvider 3/1/2013 8:10:35 AM 2424 (0x0978)
Data timestamp is invalid or has expired. '2013-03-01 13:03:54'. CCMSDKProvider 3/1/2013 8:10:35 AM 2424 (0x0978)

Of course "Data timestamp is invalid or expired" doesn't really give me a lot to go on -- or I don't know what I'm looking for (also entirely possible).

Client Settings specify to add the application catalog to trusted sited, install permissions are set to all users, reinstalled the client (and deleted the client machine from CM and rediscovered it) -- uninstalled silverlight and let the client push reinstall it, and deleted my custom user settings which simply specified affinity settings -- pretty sure this had no effect but I vaguely remembered the problem starting shortly after this.

Lastly, this was not always the case. For a while there application requests / installations through application catalog were working just fine. Not sure what changed.

I'm open to ideas.

Thanks much,

-squib