vremenar

Console refuses to connect after WMF 3.0 update applied

After weeks of working normally console of SCCM 2012 fails to connect to site. The issue has started right about time when WMF 3.0 was distributed via Windows Update. Tried everything uninstalling WMF 3.0, uninstalling DP, installing DP, installing SCCM 2012 SP1 (RTM) and so on, but nothing seems to work.

This is all I get in my events:

Transport error; failed to connect, message: 'The SMS Provider reported an error.'\r\nMicrosoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlQueryException\r\nThe SMS Provider reported an error.\r\n at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlQueryResultsObject.<GetEnumerator>d__0.MoveNext()

at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.Connect(String configMgrServerPath)

at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsSiteConnectionNode.GetConnectionManagerInstance(String connectionManagerInstance)\r\nConfigMgr Error Object:

instance of __ExtendedStatus

{

Operation = "ExecQuery";

ParameterInfo = "SELECT * FROM SMS_Site WHERE SiteCode = 'xxx'";

ProviderName = "WinMgmt";

};

Error Code:

ProviderLoadFailure

\r\nSystem.Management.ManagementException\r\nProvider load failure \r\n at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)

at System.Management.ManagementObjectCollection.ManagementObjectEnumerator.MoveNext()

at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlQueryResultsObject.<GetEnumerator>d__0.MoveNext()\r\nManagementException details:

instance of __ExtendedStatus

{

Operation = "ExecQuery";

ParameterInfo = "SELECT * FROM SMS_Site WHERE SiteCode = 'xxx'";

ProviderName = "WinMgmt";

};

\r\n

Can anyone help?

as you've had the WMF 3.0 update installed can you verify if WMI errors exist in your event viewer ?

I have no WMI errors, just this warning: "A provider, SMSDPProvider, has been registered in the Windows Management Instrumentation namespace root\SCCMDP to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests."

And this error appeared today: "On 01/02/13 08:45:37, component SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER on computer XXXX.XXX.XX reported: Site Component Manager failed to reinstall this component on this site system.

Solution: Review the previous status messages to determine the exact reason for the failure. Site Component Manager will automatically retry the reinstallation in minutes. To force Site Component Manager to immediately retry the reinstallation, stop and restart Site Component Manager using the Configuration Manager Service Manager."

New error appeared:

"On 3.1.2013. 23:12:58, component SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER on computer XXXX.XXX.XX reported: SMS Executive detected that this component stopped unexpectedly.

Possible cause: The component is experiencing a severe problem that caused it to stop unexpectedly.

Solution: Refer to your ConfigMgr Documentation or the Microsoft Knowledge Base for further troubleshooting information."

Thank you for all of the great knowledge on the site! Your how-to's are so helpful I've never been unable to solve my issues until now...so I had to sign up.

I'm by no means trying the hijack the thread but thought I would add to it. I'm having the same issue. Have done basically everything vremenar has done and have the exact same issue. Appears to be the same error but I'm also getting many warnings like the one below:

The description for Event ID 63 from source Microsoft-Windows-WMI cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

SMSDPProvider

root\SCCMDP

In addition to what the OP has done, I've tried repairing/rebuilding WMI via a couple of how-to's (this being one).

Hope this helps with theory crafting!

JB

Thank you for all of the great knowledge on the site! Your how-to's are so helpful I've never been unable to solve my issues until now...so I had to sign up.

I'm by no means trying the hijack the thread but thought I would add to it. I'm having the same issue. Have done basically everything vremenar has done and have the exact same issue. Appears to be the same error but I'm also getting many warnings like the one below:

The description for Event ID 63 from source Microsoft-Windows-WMI cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

SMSDPProvider

root\SCCMDP

In addition to what the OP has done, I've tried repairing/rebuilding WMI via a couple of how-to's (this being one).

Hope this helps with theory crafting!

JB

One you get WMF 3.0 installed you'll get the error I posted. I tried everyting you mentioned: security settings on folders, local user rights, WMI rebuilding, MP reinstall, console reinstall, console instalation on second server, WMI security settings, everyting I could find. But nothing seems to work.

can either of you provide me with remote access to the server so I can take a look? teamviewer works great :)

Sorry but no. I'd have to set you up a VPN and RDP to my machines (DC, SQL server and SCCM server) because we do not allow TeamViewer in our network (FW/IPS protected).

This errors I get in wmiprov.log but I don't think it's related to SCCM console:

(Fri Jan 04 15:26:34 2013.21733531) : Could not get pointer to binary resource for file:

(Fri Jan 04 15:26:34 2013.21733531) : C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ndis.sys[MofResourceName](Fri Jan 04 15:26:34 2013.21733531) :

(Fri Jan 04 15:26:34 2013.21733531) : ***************************************

(Fri Jan 04 15:26:35 2013.21733546) : ***************************************

(Fri Jan 04 15:26:35 2013.21733546) : Could not get pointer to binary resource for file:

(Fri Jan 04 15:26:35 2013.21733546) : C:\Windows\system32\drivers\en-US\ndis.sys.mui[MofResourceName](Fri Jan 04 15:26:35 2013.21733546) :

(Fri Jan 04 15:26:35 2013.21733546) : ***************************************

(Fri Jan 04 15:26:35 2013.21733562) : ***************************************

(Fri Jan 04 15:26:35 2013.21733562) : Could not get pointer to binary resource for file:

(Fri Jan 04 15:26:35 2013.21733562) : C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\msiscsi.sys[MofResource](Fri Jan 04 15:26:35 2013.21733562) :

(Fri Jan 04 15:26:35 2013.21733562) : ***************************************

(Fri Jan 04 15:26:35 2013.21733843) : WDM call returned error: 4200

hmm, are you sure you uninstalled the WMF update ? has it reinstalled or it's definetly gone ?

if you look at your event viewer now, do you see any evidence of WMI rebuilding itself ?

have you reviewed this post ?

hmm, are you sure you uninstalled the WMF update ? has it reinstalled or it's definetly gone ?

if you look at your event viewer now, do you see any evidence of WMI rebuilding itself ?

have you reviewed this post ?

Yes I have and it didn't help...

Finally got it sorted out! Tried to reinstall site and to change sms provider using Configuration manager setup. During setup I got an error that setup is unable to compile smsprov.mof and that smsprov.dll cannot be registered! Got digging and found out that smsprov.dll is missing from x64 directory. Copied it form installation DVD and rerun site maintenance. Got an error that smsprov.mof could not be compiled.

This helped me out:

first: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/configmgrsetup/thread/d06a6b81-68d0-466a-8382-ceb7fb0bb8c3/

second: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrsetup/thread/ffe24231-1f19-4d17-86ce-6d54e103f4d7

and finally rerun site maintenance and left my server to reinstall all components (about 10 minutes). After that console started to work WITH WMF 3 installed :)

Thank you all for your help! :)