mogwuy

Question on Boot Images

Hello,

I've been working in SCCM for awhile now. I've finally got a sequence that works offline just fine. Though recently I've been trying to get it to run over the network from a bootable media.

Anyway,

I noticed that it fails to detect the network adapter I am using (its a startech usb to nic dongle). I had the drivers in the boot image but still no go. So then I started to remove drivers to see if maybe there was a conflict with the another nic driver. I noticed everytime I tried to remove drivers, I would get an error saying it failed because such and such driver couldn't be injected. So I would delete that driver and update the distribution points and try again only to get the same error but with a different driver.

Finally though, I removed enough drivers that the distribution point got update dated succesfully without error, however the problem now is that I had to remove the one driver I needed. Further more the other thing I noticed (and this is where my question comes in) is that the boot image regardless of the fact I was removing drivers, was getting bigger after each update. Also when you click the little yellow flower icon to look at details of the drivers, that list shows all the drivers I removed in it. Is there a reason for that?

Alright, I've been researching this further, and still have yet to find any specifics. I found where it says how to remove drivers from the drivers pane, but when I go to run that wizard it doesn't give me an option to remove, only to add.

Yeah I tell it do so everytime. I've also just recently noticed (after looking through some logs) that the boot image gets renamed from like boot.ACM0000X.wim to boot.ACM0000X.ACM0000X.wim, then it fails because it doesn't have access to the file it created.

Alright, sorry on the delay on getting back to this thread. I have solved my main issue of getting that driver imported at this point. I didn't remove the Boot Image as it appears several task sequences are using it. However what I did figure out is that (atleast the way we have things configured) is during the the updating distribution stage, it looks like the image appears to be copied to a second location. It seems like as the image is copied over is when its getting renamed, which I'm thinking is due to some permission settings (not sure where I would change or check these.) Though I found deleting the image from the second location and re-running the update distribution points allowed the image to be updated succesfully including the driver I needed.

This does not however address the fact the image keeps getting larger with every update despite the fact I had removed probably a good 50 drivers or so.

If you go into the properties of the boot image itself, Windows PE tab. Does it list the drivers in there that you removed? If so, what if you remove them from there then update the DP? I've had to do this before, when removing them outside of the boot image didn't actually remove them from the boot image.

I can't comment on it always getting larger though...