InigoMontoya

OSDComputerName for "already known computers"

I can confirm that your method for prompting for a computer name works with unknown computers - my question now is: How do I get it to work with known computers that are already in a collection?

Every time I try to PXE boot an already known computer, I get to the point of where it will prompt me for a computer name - but then the TS fails immediately afterwards.

Also, this may be part of the issue. I am working in a virtual environment and after multiple times of saving and restoring the SCCM VMs, the distribution point seems to get corrupted.

No amount of uninstalling wds and removing the distribution point role and then adding again has been able to fix the problem.

So, know any reason why WDS/PXE/OSD would suddenly stop working without any changes? besides saving and restoring the VM?

task sequence error 0x80070570. Task sequence failed to start.

From the research I did it seems that either the task sequence is corrupted, files are missing, or it is pointing to a task sequence that no longer exists, or its a bad path all together to the task sequence.

Like I said, No amount of uninstalling wds and removing the distribution point role and then adding again has been able to fix the problem except for uninstalling SCCM and then reinstalling.

This is the process on how I PXE enable a distribution point:

Enable PXE with SCCM 2012

1. Administration: Security: Distribution Point: right click on the SCCM server: Properties
a. PXE:
i. Enable all PXE check boxes (do not require password)
ii. Only except PXE requests from the mac of the Internal VLAN Nic
b. Multicast:
i. Enable multicast with default settings
2. Configure DHCP to allow PXE
a. 060 PXEClient (Not sure if needed)
b. 066 Distribution point IP address
c. 067 SMSBoot\x64\wdsnbp.com
3. Make a GPO for UDP ports 67,68,69,4011 Allowing for inbound and outbound
4. MAKE A NEW FOLDER CALLED SOURCES AND SHARE IT OUT!
a. Under Sources, Make:
i. Win8x64
ii. SUGs
iii. Tools
iv. Applications
5. Software Library: Operating Systems: Operating System Images:
a. Add an Operating System Image – Install.WIM
b. Right click the image – Distribute content to a Distribution Point
c. Right click the image and under distribution settings, allow the package to be distributed via multicast.
6. Navigate to Sites: Select the VCG site: Configure Site Components: Distribution Point: Network Access Account: Specify the account that accesses network locations.
7. Software Library: Operating Systems: Task Sequences: Create a new task sequence
a. Right click the TS and Deploy it to
i. All Unknown Computers
ii. VCG x64 Employee Computers

To better state my last post:

1. Where are the logs that you requested located at?

2. Do I have to enable command line support to access these logs?

3. What do you think of my PXE enabling process that I outlined?

I appreciate your help and I look forward to your response, Anyweb.

1. x:\windows\temp\smstslog\smsts.log

2. yes and then redistribute the boot image to your dp's, press F8 to enable the command prompt in WinPE and get the log above

3. looks ok, but to be honest I wouldn't change any dhcp options unless I had to. I assume you are testing this in a lab ? and it's failing ?

Sorry, have been super busy here at work.

I have read that if the PXE Service Point and clients reside on different subnets, that you have to define the DHCP options in order for clients to find the PSP. Is that correct?

Yes, this was failing in a lab. I am almost positive that OSD failed due to corruption of packages and task sequences because of the machine constantly being "saved" and then "restored" constantly in Hyper-V.

It was displaying behavior like it was looking for a TS that no longer existed.

I know that removing roles and re adding them is a common troubleshooting step in SCCM, but no matter how many times I did that with the DP - it wouldn't get rid of that old TS.

How would I manually go through the SCCM PKG folders and remove any traces of old packages / task sequences?