jkirshy

Wake Up Proxy will Take your network down

Microsoft's SCCM has a new feature called "wake up proxy" whereby host a pretends to be host b (host a spoof's the mac address of host B) when host b goes to sleep. Needless to say, we were seeing tons of mac address flapping and port-security issues.

On the client settings that you deploy to your devices, If you have power management selected and have wake up proxy as yes or enabled, it wll cause network card " flapping" or rebroadcast of your mac address accross the wan. This will trigger port security and bring down your network.

Refer to the Cisco Tac Below. Only in sp1 sccm 2012. Dont enable this feature, your network and security team will hate you once they found out SCCM 2012 sp1 caused this! What a nightmare. This is apparently a pretty new issue. over 2k users experiecned rolling blackouts of there ports becuase we have port security turned on our switches. Suck it Microsoft!

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2220560

I know this is an old thread, but I arrived here as we were thinking of implementing this feature ourselves and I was looking to see if anyone had implemented it already.

I started off my initial research for this project by reading the official Microsoft documentation on this feature and it clearly states that mac flapping could be a potential issue and the text is even in a box-out with an exclamation icon and a Warning title.

Those who fail to plan, plan to fail and all that...

Anyway..back to the drawing board for me....