Sigma

Disable computer account in Task Sequence

I am running a task sequence to decommission the computers on the network (format disk etc. but no OS installation). During this process I want to disable the computer account in AD on which that task sequence is running.

I've written a VB Script that gets the Computer DN, connect to AD and try to disable the object. The script looks something like this:

Set objComputer = GetObject( & computerDN )

objComputer.AccountDisabled = True

objComputer.Put "Description", "Decommissioned"

objComputer.SetInfo

When I run this script in task sequence step, it throws "general access denied" error. The script successfully updates description if I remove the line: objComputer.AccountDisabled = True

My thoughts are that the Task Sequence runs under "Local System" account and "Local System" account has full permissions on its computer account in AD. Correct me if I am wrong please.

I can run the script under any other domain admin account (run as command line) but I don't see any reason to do this if above is true. (and it is true in case if I only update description).

Any thoughts/ideas will be much appreciated. This Task Sequence step runs in Full Windows mode (not WinPE).

Thanks.

My thoughts are that the Task Sequence runs under "Local System" account = Correct

"Local System" account has full permissions on its computer account in AD = Incorrect

Local system account does not have permissions on AD and until and unless its provisioned that way.