murda

Managing DP's

How do you guys setup and manage DP's?

Do you all have a seperate DP for images,bootfiles,software,updates,... or just on DP that combines everything?

Now I wanna move my existing DP's to a different share that's not on the same PC.

How can I change the path of the DP so I can point out towards the new DP and copy the packages towards the new DP?

thx!

you'll have to select your package, right click and choose Manage Distribution Points

then remove the MP you don't want to use and select the one you do want to use

cheers

anyweb

you'll have to select your package, right click and choose Manage Distribution Points

then remove the MP you don't want to use and select the one you do want to use

cheers

anyweb

Yes, I know how this can be done. But how can I create a custom DP for certain applications?

Is it under "site system" - rightclick - "new" - "server share" for creating a new DP?

Normally DP's are auto made on the HDD with the most storage space.

Anyweb, is it normal to make more DP's depending the use? Or do you work with the standard DP's?

you can have multiple distribution points on several servers and you can decide what package goes to what distribution point(s) when you actually create the new DP for the package,

does that make sense ?

see the screenshot, it has TWO distribution points, one is on my actual SCCM server and the other is on the WSUS server which was added as a server role (sup) and then I added a distribution point role to that server also,

dps.jpg

now when i look at the distribution points listed for Adobe Reader 9 I see both the sccm server standard DP and the DP on my WSUS server....

you can have as many or as few as you need depending on your package needs and location

to ADD a new Distribution point to a server you must add the Distribution Point Role to that server (new roles...), you cannot add this role unless you have a server available, so first Add a Site server, then add roles.., in the screenshot below, the WSUS server was added as a Site Server by doing as follows, once I added it as a Site Server I could add additional roles to it, for example, the Distribution Point role.

wsusdp.jpg

cheers

anyweb

Thx for pointing me in the good direction.

Final question about the DP's.

Can I add more DP's on the same server?

example:

Standard:

E:\SMSPKGE$

an extra share for DP:

D:\SMSPKGD$

no, sccm will grab the space as needed on the drives, if you want to stop it from using a drive then use a file called NO_SMS_ON_DRIVE.SMS and place it on the root of your drive that you DON'T Want used