trinh4life

SCCM 2012 question (WSUS)

Question

Hello,

I don't know if I posted in the correct category but I had a question in regards to SCCM 2012. We are having a problem where machines are rebooting after Windows security updates are applied via WSUS. On out own test devices, seperate from our lab, there is an Windows update prompt to reboot the machine (i.e. 1 hour, 2 hour, 4 hour). This is what we want so machines are not automotically rebooted. However, on our lab test PC's, the machines are rebooting after a countdown timer. We want to prevent this but we don't know what the difference is between our own test pc's and the lab test pc's. Hoping someone could assist if they experienced this type of problem with their deployment. Thanks a lot.

Trinh4life

2 answers to this question

Hi,

The Countdown timer is the way that SCCM 2012 handles reboots from updates, the countdown timer you are seeing from WSUS should actually be disabled to not have any unexpected reboots in your environment.

JAson has written a great blog post about this.

http://blog.configmgrftw.com/?p=89

Regards,
jörgen

Hi Jorgen,

Thanks for the informative article. It was really helpful. Any ideas though on why our own test machines work the way we want it to work and why our lab machines restart with countdown timer. The former leaves a restart prompt and gives us a delayed prompt to reboot if we want that. Also, it does not automatically reboot until you specify. Any ideas would help. Thanks a lot.

Trinh4life