deconinckg

Roles and SCCM

Question

Hi all,

I was thinking about something now. In our network we already have a dhcp server configured. And now i was wondering if its possible to have SCCM and DHCP on different servers. For now i only did all roles on one and the same server, but I think they don't want me to take of the dhcp from one server. I know i need WDS on same server as DHCP-server.

So i hope you guys can clarify me thisone.

9 answers to this question

Sorry to jump on the back of this topic but with the above in mind, is it possible to have WDS installed on a different server to both the SCCM 2007 server, and the DHCP server [we have various scopes and DHCP server - Server 2003 OS' - though we wouldnt be deploying OS' to all DHCP ranges.... er... yet? hehe]

I have the following server setups - if it helps explain what i'm [in the middle of] setting up:

- Srv 2008 - SCCM 2007 R2 machine [or will be once i go through the guide [again]

- Srv 2008 - WSUS 3.0 SP1 - actively serving the domain

- Srv 2008 - SQL 2005 Std with SP3 (and the rest of the stuff as per the guide on here)

Basically, can I go ahead with the SCCM install and make a WDS server later on? - rather than having it on the SCCM server

Many thanks for any help with this and it might help deconinckg also with what he's planning :)

Cheers

Nath.

yes basically you can, but if you do you cannot deploy operating systems using the PXE service point role (PSP) as the WDS role is required by PSP

more info about that here

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb693934.aspx

and here

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680753.aspx

PXE Service Point

The PXE service point is a Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007 site role that responds to PXE requests from computers that have been imported into Configuration Manager 2007. The PXE service point must be configured to respond to PXE boot requests by Configuration Manager 2007 clients so that Configuration Manager 2007 clients can interact with the Configuration Manager 2007 infrastructure to determine the appropriate installation actions to take. A PXE service point can be installed on a primary or secondary site. Because the PXE service point cannot use BITS, the PXE service point should be installed on a standard distribution point, not a branch distribution point.

PXE Service Point Configuration More Information

Windows Deployment Services (WDS)

The Transport Server WDS role service is required for PXE support.

* Windows Server® 2008 - WDS is included in the operating system software. The PXE service point site role must be installed on a server with WDS installed. The Transport Server is a component of WDS and can be installed using the Add Roles Wizard. WDS services can be provided by a primary or secondary site server. For more information about WDS on Windows Server 2008, see: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=129528.

* Windows Server 2003 - For Windows Server 2003, Service Pack 1 you must first install the Remote Installation Services (RIS) and then install the Windows Vista SP1 or Windows Server 2008 version of Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK). RIS must be installed however no additional RIS configuration is required.

* For Windows 2003 servers running Service Pack 2 and higher, the Windows AIK installation is not necessary. The WDS role can be added by using Add or Remove Programs. Use the following link for more information about the Windows AIK: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=81030

WDS Configuration Considerations

The WDS installation requires that the administrator is a member of the Local Administrators group on the server where Windows Deployment Services is installed. In addition, your computing environment must meet the following technical requirements:

* Active Directory. A WDS server must be either a member of an Active Directory domain or a domain controller for an Active Directory domain. All Windows domain and forest configurations support WDS.

Thanks for the reply.

So basically you cant have multiple SCCM servers with different roles on then then?

Or you can, but only specific roles, and not things like PXE etc?

I'm just trying to load balance a bit as to not bog down this initial SCCM server you see.

Sorry for asking - your guides have been a god send, its just this little step thats holding me back now really. The guides were great in my lab test, though time prevented me from actually using SCCM on the lab network we have.

[btw... on a side note.... have you seen this page? might be handy for your IIS on 2008 for SQL 2005 related guides :) dont recall seeing it on them]

I may be able to help with additional information such as tips on configuration when having services on different servers i.e. seperate WSUS & SQL servers from the SCCM server, firewall info, etc.

We just need to get stuff deployed out - not OS stuff [yet] but it will be just as important - so sorry if i sound pushy with my questions etc.

Many thanks on any further info u can shed.

Nath :D

So basically you cant have multiple SCCM servers with different roles on then then?

yes you can, you can add and remove roles at will,

what iis page were you trying to show me, i didnt see any link

cheers

Just thinking out loud now but... looking into your quotes...

Because the PXE service point cannot use BITS, the PXE service point should be installed on a standard distribution point, not a branch distribution point.

The Transport Server WDS role service is required for PXE support.

* Windows Server® 2008 - WDS is included in the operating system software. The PXE service point site role must be installed on a server with WDS installed. The Transport Server is a component of WDS and can be installed using the Add Roles Wizard. WDS services can be provided by a primary or secondary site server. For more information about WDS on Windows Server 2008, see: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=129528.

So that doesnt mean I could set up a seperate SCCM 2007 server and do as the first quote says with having the PSP and WDS on this additional server then?

Ta

oops... missed ur message... was half way through the reply and got distracted hehe

Basically... can i leave WDS as per this:

I have the following server setups - if it helps explain what i'm [in the middle of] setting up:

- Srv 2008 - SCCM 2007 R2 machine [or will be once i go through the guide [again]

- Srv 2008 - SQL 2005 Std with SP3 (and the rest of the stuff as per the guide on here)

and then when the time comes, make this:

- Srv 2008 - SCCM 2007 R2 - with PSP and WDS

Would that mean a additional SCCM 2007 license would be needed if the latter would work?

The link is: You receive a warning message on the System Configuration Check page of the SQL Server 2005 Setup program on a computer that is running Windows Vista or a Server Core installation of Windows Server 2008

Cheers

Nath