I had created a second DP and did not install all the roles and features necessary for a DP site. I went back to that new DP server and installed all the role and features listed for setting up a new SCCM site server just for good measure.
I also unchecked the option to use local clients to distribute files. This was causing issues as well.
Now cancel your hanging updates, reboot if you want for good measure, and try re installing the patches remaining. It works for me now.
Any machines that I had not tried to install patches yet worked fine. In rare cases I am still getting a single patch left that will not download, the other patches state "requires restart". If I restart I am usually able to finish patching.