Brian N. Henry

SCCM Using Truncated NetBIOS Names

Question

I'm using SCCM 2007 and largely its working fine but I am running into one issue.

Our organization uses a naming scheme for its systems that have resulted in rather long system names. It seems System Center is using the truncated NetBIOS name for the system rather than the full system name, even though it stores it in Resource Names[0]. This is mostly causing issue for my remote control, but I would wager it will cause issues as I move forward with inventory and software distribution.

Any suggestions to fix or work around this behavior?

7 answers to this question

interesting problem, netbios names are limited to 16 characters(Microsoft limits a NetBIOS name to be 15 characters in lenght and uses the 16th character as the NetBIOS suffix),

is this post the same as your problem ?

if so, you'll have to have unique NETBIOS names across your organisation

Nope - the machine names are quite unique across the domain. The format is building hyphen room number hyphen username, so my own is sl-r33-bhenry. When we have users with names like Faulkenberg in room A06B things get tricky.

I did however figure out a workaround if not a fix - I enabled WINS through DHCP and release/renewed both the machine I was having issues on as well as my own, plus set it statically on the SCCM box.

What puzzles me is why this happened even though the schema is extended. Its more academic now but hey - any answer is a good one.

how was SCCM installed in your environment, was it an upgrade or clean install ? is remote desktop the only issue you are seeing ? what is the state of your Site Status and the componets in there ?

how was SCCM installed in your environment, was it an upgrade or clean install ? is remote desktop the only issue you are seeing ? what is the state of your Site Status and the componets in there ?

Sorry mate - got wrapped up on another project.

It was a clean install and remote desktop was the only issue I have noticed - I hadn't tried any other features until after I installed the WINS. Site status is showing some green right now.