mikejc

Installing Intel ProSet with SCCM Task Sequence

Question

I have an SCCM OSD Task Sequence that I am using to build Windows 2003 servers. One of the steps installs the Intel ProSet drivers and teaming software, but the deployment fails.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/detail_des...mp;DwnldID=8719

From what I can tell, during the installation, the NIC temporarily loses network connectivity, which is a bad thing when trying to install a package over the network. At this point, it errors out, reporting that it cannot find some of the installation files. I have tried both the EXE installer (DXSETUP.EXE) and MSI based (Prosetdx.msi) with the same failures.

I can reproduce the failure outside of SCCM just by trying to run the installer off the distribution point manually. Copying the installer locally allows it to run without error.

Now, I know I can configure the advertisement to download all contents and run from a local cache instead of over the network, but it would increase my deployment by over 800%, as it would locally download my huge OS image and every other package as well. If only you could specify that by an individual package, not the whole advertisement.

Any ideas?

4 answers to this question

you've pretty much answered your own question, and in this case you should probably install the os+drivers first, then after the os is installed send out the Intel Proset software by utilising the cache feaure

you've pretty much answered your own question, and in this case you should probably install the os+drivers first, then after the os is installed send out the Intel Proset software by utilising the cache feaure

The drivers themselves are already installed as part of a driver package, all I am really after are the teaming components in the exe. I would already be using the caching feature if I could have it cache an individual package, rather than setting it for the whole advertisement. It makea a 40 minute deployment balloon to several hours. Heck, it takes 20 minutes alone just to cache the WIM file...

you could probably write a small script to copy the contents manually to a folder and then once done install the application

have you tried that ?

you could probably write a small script to copy the contents manually to a folder and then once done install the application

have you tried that ?

Yup, thats what we do with some of our components.

we just copy a directory of tier0 software to like c:\local\

then after we prep the wim on the box it automatically kicks off a set of scripts to run c:\local\appname\install.cmd

xcopy.exe \\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME\Applications\*.* C:\Local\Applications\

there are heaps of ways to achieve this startup but we utilize a series of scripts to kickoff the config process.