HKTech

Using WDS to deploy XP

Question

I have a win 2003 server with dhcp/wds installed and I am trying to deploy images that I made with SCCM 2007. I got frustrated trying to get SCCM 2007 to work, so im just trying to do it now with wds server. I can get the pxe to boot fine, but when it gets to preparing network connection the dialog box goes away, waits 20 seconds, then it restarts. I have tried to change the boot image to a basic vista boot.wim to see if its that and with that I get I don't have network drivers(which I know I need), but I am lost why my other image is doing what it is doing, please help. With the SCCM I would get stuck with pending approval and no where to approve it cause I did not have WDS configured when using it.

9 answers to this question

are you using wds or sccm now ?

I uninstalled SCCM. So now all I have running is WDS. I have a boot image that I used to capture the image, and the captured image, which I both got from SCCM, but for some reason it wouldn't allow me to deploy so I gave up.

Is this a network driver issue or x86 vs. x64 issue??

When I am trying to capture I get as far as Image Capture Destination. When I go to upload the image to the WDS server and hit connect I get "the network name cannot be found" regardless if I use name or IP. So I hit shift+f10 to get command promt. IPconfig gives me windows ip configuration with nothing else. Ping server ip gives me transmit failed, error code 1231. and wpeutil initializenetwork just spits out instructions on how to do this. Any thoughts?

adding to my issue. I figured out how to inject the drivers. I injected windows xp 32 bit drivers, and also vista 32 bit drivers. I am still getting the same result where I am not getting an IP. Of course windows(microsoft), could not make this easy.

I keep updating my own topic lol...I think I figured out the issue. I am currently capturing right now, the true test will be when I need to deploy, but what I did to get it to capture is instead of doing the normal injection of drivers way which puts them into some weird drivers folder, I put the .sys files right into the windows\system32\drivers folder and so far it has worked, but I will keep this updated if I can get the capture to work as well.

you should always be using the Windows Vista network drivers when updating boot.wim files as boot.wim is windows PE which is based upon windows vista

cheers

anyweb

Yea I realized I needed vista driver, but for some reason the normal injection wasn't working for the image, so my only fix was to mount the image, drag the sys file right into the windows\system32\drivers folder and I can now capture and deploy. Thank you for all your help, All your guides were really helpful.